What's new

Need inexpesive CD player for my Dad.... (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
My father needs a new CD player for his outdoor Audio system. Its just a 2 channel audio only setup for stereo sound in his pool area. its a 2 channel Onkyo Reciever and JBL S-Series outdoor speakers.

Seems CD players are scarce these days and its all DVD players now. It also seems the DVD players are even cheaper or the same price as CD players.

Only looking to spend around $200 or less.

Suggestions??

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Why not a CD changer? If he is going to put music on outside (I'm assuming the components are in the house), he could throw 5 discs in and do a shuffle play at random or play them in order. My bedroom system connects to several sets of speakers, including outside, and I have a Sony SACD/CD changer in there. Marantz makes a single disc player but it is $300 list. If you are just looking for background music a DVD will work - you can just hook it to a TV initially to set-up the speakers as being just left and right.

PeAK

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray

I bought this entry level Toshiba SD-3990. The picture is very good and the sound is very detailed, dynamic and rthymic...frankly quite amazing

PeAK

brendy

Agent
You can get DVD players for $50.They will function fine as a CD player.Try Wal-Mart,Target among others.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
There are lots of CD player options. Marantz has a nice 5-disc changer with a fast mechanism for that price, that might be good. Denon etc also, etc.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
How knowledgeable is your Dad about home theater equipment? Last Christmas I bought my father a $39 DVD player that he uses as a CD player and it's currently the most technologically advanced piece of equipment in his house. This year for Christmas I'm getting Dad a $300 computer, and it will be far more advanced than the eight year old AOL dial up enabled pc that he's currently using.

An inexpensive CD player for me would cost about ten times more than an inexpensive CD player for my Dad, so you'll have to be more specific :)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
A two channel onkyo receiver? That may mean that no optical or coaxial digital port is available. He'd have to use analogue cables. There's nothing wrong with that approach, but it does mean that the CD player has to be evaluated on the basis of its DACs, and cheapie dvd players may not measure up.

The other thing is that some players are sturdier than others. I have two transports in my system-- an oppo dvd player that borders on flimsy, and a sony es player that borders on solid. I use the oppo for DVDs, but I prefer the sony for playing CDs for several reasons:

1. It's a carousel. More playing time, better shuffling.
2. It can probably stand more abuse. It has a certain heft.
3. It's quieter than the oppo. It doesn't emit a barely perceptible whine at times.
4. The display is much larger and more informative.
5. I don't have to turn on the TV to use it, or tweak it.
(6. It plays my SACDs...)
On the other hand, the oppo provides video quality that can't be matched by Sony.

IMHO, there's one thing that all AV equipment should measure up to.
Don't be annoying

Not everything in my collection measures up. You don't want to give something to your parents that ends up being annoying, or quirky, or hard to use. It needn't be the best player in the world, considering that outdoor speakers are being used. But it shouldn't need to be "occasionally thumped." Reliability is key.

(My player is the scd-c2000es. It's available in the cheaper scde-595 version as well. It may not be the best cd player in the world, and sacds have, um, limited appeal, but it works.)

The Oppo: Note the lack of fast forward and reverse buttons.

The Sony. Front panel controls do not disappoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks