What's new

Need ideas DYI 5 or 6 speaker set-up? (1 Viewer)

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I've got the dyi bug. I would want monitor/bookshelf style to cut down on the cabinet building, since I have a very nice sub already. I have a front projection setup now so I do not want a "tonally matched" center. I want the same speakers all around. Last the budget for for this undertaking would be in the $1500 total.
My big delima is right now I have a pair of Def. Tech BP10s up front along with a cheap dyi center, and a pair of Krix Lyrix in the back. So I do have high expectations since I have 2 sets of $1100 a pair floorstanders already. Is it possible to get comparable or better sound from a fully matched set of speakers all around if I go the dyi route and build my own cabinets. I also would prefer the crossovers to be preassembled, I do lack skill in the soldering area.
Thanks. So bring on the ideas and suggestions.
Greg

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Hi Greg!
We have quite a group of DIYers here in Austin, I'm sure you can find a lot of help among us to design your own set of speakers. If you can do all the physical cabinet construction, we can take care of all the measurements and crossover design/assembly to your personal preferences. In return all we ask is that we retain rights to the crossover design, should we choose to distribute it as a kit or kit plan.
So... $1500 for 5 bookshelf speakers, eh? We can smoke the DefTechs, no problem. First, a couple questions...
What types of music do you listen to?
Would a simple MT be sufficient for your listening tastes (with regard to maximum output)?
Do you have any preferences as to driver choices, materials, or technologies?
What are some examples of commercial speakers that you really like?
Also, decide early on how much cash to allocate for things like cabinet construction and finishing. I always seem to forget, and as a result I have many a box of unfinished MDF occupying my living room :)
Mark

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
As soon as I saw the title I was going to strongly suggest 6 identical speakers but it seems you're already all over that. :) I think you're on the way to a beautiful seamless soundfield.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
Hope you don't mind if I tag along in your post/process. I am wanting to do the same task. Right now I have two completed sonosubs - low Q Iso-Tempests, and am in the process of building my home theatre in the basement. I am wanting to build a six channel matching set. I am trying to decide on what drivers to use. The only driver that I think I have settled on is the Morel tweeter DMS-30S. (I have read good things about it on the internet) As for the remaining drivers I'm looking into Vifa PL with bucking magnets for CC, or the Audax Presteige Aerogel line. Which do you like better. As for Layout, I'm thinking TMWW for left and right, and the WTMW for the center. I have never built or designed crossover networks, am I biting off more than I can chew? Cabinet making is not an issue, as I have access to all the tools, and am decent at building the cabinets. Any thoughts or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Mark
Thanks for the info. I had no idea there was such a dyi following here in the Austin area. That makes me breath a little easier since this will be my first major dyi project. I checked out your web page and wow that was a ton of info there too.
Well to answer your questions here goes.
I listen to all music. I can't make up my mind. But if pressed I enjoy Blues, electric and acoustic; folk and live acoustic. I really do enjoy the KGSRs cd's, and the 2 Sessions at West 54th dvds.
I think a MT speaker would do just great, I would rather spend the same money on a higher quality MT than a MTM, but I am not locked into any design yet. My room is 17' x 12'8" x 9' and it is a dedicated room so I can move thing out from the walls if needed.
No prefereance on drivers because I'm not familar with them.
Commercial speakers would be the Dynaudio monitors or I just heard the new Energy Veritas monitors and really enjoyed their sound. Mainly I like speakers that sound "quick" or "tight" I'm not sure how to phrase it. It just seems like they start and stop quickly and really draw you into the music.
As far as the cabinets it will be kind of learning experience but at the same time I am not a complete idiot when it comes to woodworking and I am pretty handy. The finishing is where I fall behind but I can be taught.
Let me know anything you can think of that might help. I am looking to get started sometime in May.
Hope this doesn't get lost in the shut down coming on anytime now.
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks