What's new

Need HT recommendations please. (1 Viewer)

Jason_Graham

Auditioning
I am preparing to buy some HT equipment, my budget is around $700-$800. I already have a Sony KP-53HS10 and a Sony DVPNS715P DVD player. So I guess all I really need is Receiver and Speakers.

I have been looking at some of the HTiB solutions from Kenwood and Onkyo.

Can I build a better setup from seperate parts?

Bottom line is, the rooms isn't massive, maybe 12x15 or even a little smaller.

I would like to stay around $750, and if I order online would like it to be a very reputable dealer.

I had also looked at the Sony STRDE985 receiver, it has Component Video Inputs which I liked since I have my DVD to the HD Component hookups on my TV.

So whats the best I can do on this budget?

Thanks!

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
If you can find the JBL NSP1 Series I online for $199 it would be really great. And then add a nice subwoofer for like $300. Then you can get a nice Pioneer 811 reciever for $300 online. That's $800. I would think the Pioneer is a better reciever than the Sony but it's just my opinion. Good Luck! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

I have the Pioneer VSX-811D receiver.
I love it.

It fabulous, and it is paired up with the Onkyo speakers (HTS500?)

I just need to upgrade speaker cables and sub cable soon.

:)

-david

AaronJB

Second Unit
Onkyo SKSHT_500 Speakers ($250ish)

&

Panasonic SAHE100 (6.1 capable - DTS-ES Matrix/Discrete + unofficial DD-EX; PLII, DTS NEO-6) Reciever ($269-299)

or

Pioneer-811 Reciever (6.1 capable - DTS-ES Matrix/Discrete, DD-EX; PLII - probably NEO-6, too) ($299-399)

If you choose a 6.1 system, Onkyo also sells an additional back surround speaker through their website for $40.

Jason_Graham

Auditioning
I had looked at the Onkyo speakers before, and liked what I saw.

Here are a couple more question if you guys could help out.

The HTiB package that Onkyo has the HT-S650, is that the same speaker package but with a TX-SR500 receiver that Onkyo makes? It doesn't say thats the model receiver but sure looks the same.

Also I can't find just the speaker package many places, just Circuit City and Amazon.

Last question : What speaker stands work good for the fronts and rears? Or I can wall mount them, does it matter if the two front speakers are a little behind the center?

I would put the center on top of TV and put the fronts on the wall facing forward, I guess about 2 feet behind, if not then on stands..

AaronJB

Second Unit
The Onkyo HT-650 is made up of the Onkyo HT-500 reciever and the SKSHT-500 speaker set. Both of these items can be purchased together or separately. I paired the SKSHT-500 speaker set with the Panasonic reciever because I wanted 6.1 capability. I've been very pleased with both.

Also, I'd heard conflicting reports about the power of the Onkyo. Recently, there was also a thread in the recievers section of this site that many were having trouble with the subwoofer output of the HT-500 reciever (the one that comes with the HT-650 HTIB). I'm not sure if this issue was ever confirmed by Onkyo or what happened. That thread is linked below.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=Onkyo

Yes, the only places the speaker set seems to be available are amazon & CC. The Onkyo website has them (shoponkyo.com).

You can have the front speakers a bit behind your center (that's how I have it and it works perfectly fine.)

However, I don't have the front speakers mounted on the wall - they sit on a shelf above the TV.

GregoryW

Auditioning
AaronJB. I couldn't agree with you more regarding your combination of speakers and receiver. I have been doing a lot of research on systems that would fit my budget and concluded that I would buy the same speakers and receiver. It was strange to see others choosing this same setup. Anyway, have you been impressed with the setup, both for music and surround??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks