What's new

Need help with Widescreen/screen cut off problems! (1 Viewer)

Matthew Prince

Stunt Coordinator
Hello!

This may sound like a really unusual problem, but I hope you can solve it. I have a JVC Widescreen TV.

I have two problems, When I play Freejack (1992 - yes, I love it!) on my TV, I get the black bars because it is a 2.35:1 ratio film. It is also anamorphic, great!

The funny thing though is, when I play it on my Widescreen TV the black bars never match up, that is, like this: (c) 3/6/00 Original page link)

Instead, the top bar is ALWAYS larger than the lower bar... Why? - and it's always with 2.35:1 anamorphic DVDs! Is it something wrong with my TV? Or the DVD Player? (It IS set to 16:9 mode). I want to align the bars properly and I need help and advice!

The second problem is that some of the opening credits on Freejack are cut off at the edges of my TV screen (L to R).

If I watch it on my PC, there is plenty of space between the credits and the left & right edges of the screen like in the movie theatre. But on my TV, the words stretch almost off the screen, this means I'm not getting 100% of the picture! I thought the Black bars were supposed to remedy this?

I know this sounds picky, but how can I adjust it or at least can someone explain to me why it happens? :confused:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
SOunds like you have a geometry problem that is skewing the picture up (or down) and excessive overscan that is cutting off the credits. In order to fix this, you have to get into the service menu. This is an advanced menu that is not for the faint of heart, but it can be used to fix what ails your set. How to enter the service menu on your JVC set is something I cannot help with (if it was a Toshiba, I could). Maybe someone else can help in this regard.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi

It is an overscan, image centering, and or linearity problem.

Call a tech for warranty assistance, or research the JVC units yourself online, and do yourself.

A word of warning...any unauthorized person that enters the service menu will cause the warranty to be voided. Perhaps call a service tech?

It would be helpful if you had a test disc like AVIA that has a good overscan pattern. Then you could show the tech the problem.

Best wishes

Gregg

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You should use the overscan plates and other such patterns on a test disc to see specifically how you're off, and if you aren't up to fixing it yourself via service menu, call a tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks