1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with video card selection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Shultzaberger, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I need some help with selecting a video card for my comp. Currently I have a Gateway MS98/P3-450/128Mb memory/Toshiba DVD player/ with 3dfx Voodoo Banshee. I have no idea whether it is AGP 1x,2x,4x or whatever. Yesterday was the first time I have installed a game that ran extemely slow and looked like crap. Recommended was OpenGl compliant and P3-550 or higher.
    I'm looking for a card that is under $170.00, looks pretty good on screen and can do video capture plus DVD playback. The wife wants to hook up the Hi-8 camera to take some stills and make little movies. I just want it to play games with.
    I was thinking of something like the ATi Radeon brand but I have been out of the loop for so long I don't know what is good any more.
    And one last thing. Is there a card available that can take a TV signal in? Would this be the ATi All-in-Wonder Pro?
    Thanks!
    Shawn

2. Craig Chatterton

Craig Chatterton Stunt Coordinator

I just replaced my Voodoo 3000 with a ASUS GeForce 2 GTS V7700. It has video capture, TV Out, support for 3d Glasses and about four full functioning programs including Soldier of Fortune. I paid about $170 for it.
    Check out http://www.tomshardware.com/video/01...801/index.html for a review of Video Capture boards.
    And here's a good comparison between ATI and NVidia:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/...814/index.html
    ------------------
    Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

3. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

I'd recommend the ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder (the AIW Pro uses the much older Rage Pro chip), or if you don't need the TV tuner, the Radeon 64MB VIVO (video in/out). Another option (which is what I am currently using) is to get the much cheaper Radeon LE ($65) and add a WinTV TV tuner/capture card ($50). This gives you a bit more flexibility down the road.
    ------------------
    My DVD collection