What's new

Need help with video card selection (1 Viewer)

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I need some help with selecting a video card for my comp. Currently I have a Gateway MS98/P3-450/128Mb memory/Toshiba DVD player/ with 3dfx Voodoo Banshee. I have no idea whether it is AGP 1x,2x,4x or whatever. Yesterday was the first time I have installed a game that ran extemely slow and looked like crap. Recommended was OpenGl compliant and P3-550 or higher.
I'm looking for a card that is under $170.00, looks pretty good on screen and can do video capture plus DVD playback. The wife wants to hook up the Hi-8 camera to take some stills and make little movies. I just want it to play games with.
I was thinking of something like the ATi Radeon brand but I have been out of the loop for so long I don't know what is good any more.
And one last thing. Is there a card available that can take a TV signal in? Would this be the ATi All-in-Wonder Pro?
Thanks!
Shawn

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
I just replaced my Voodoo 3000 with a ASUS GeForce 2 GTS V7700. It has video capture, TV Out, support for 3d Glasses and about four full functioning programs including Soldier of Fortune. I paid about $170 for it.
Check out http://www.tomshardware.com/video/01...801/index.html for a review of Video Capture boards.
And here's a good comparison between ATI and NVidia:
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/...814/index.html
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
I'd recommend the ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder (the AIW Pro uses the much older Rage Pro chip), or if you don't need the TV tuner, the Radeon 64MB VIVO (video in/out). Another option (which is what I am currently using) is to get the much cheaper Radeon LE ($65) and add a WinTV TV tuner/capture card ($50). This gives you a bit more flexibility down the road.
------------------
My DVD collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks