What's new

need help with selecting a projector, dedicated HT (1 Viewer)

AlexQ

Auditioning
Hello all, I am new here but I thought I can get some help.

I have a new dedicated HT room, very dark, 22 x 14 in size.
So based on suggestions in this forum, I think I would like to buy a FP. But I can't decide on which one. So please help me with some suggestions. I think I can spend $5k. I would also like a recommendation on screen make and screen size.

All spearker(7.1) wirings and video wirings are done. But I realized that I forgot to put down
component wiring when I designed the room, so I only have composite and S-video wirings to the ceiling location. Am I going to miss a lot if only use S-video. If I need component now, how can I do it because the room is already complete finished. Please help.

I already have the following equipment:
1) a new DENON AVR 4802R rece
2) 7.1 speaker systems, all Polk Audio speakers
3) An old Toshiba DVD player, so I plan to buy a new progressive scan DVD player, any recommendation on the DVD player? Which one goes well with AVR 4802R?

Many Thanks

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Alex, you have a great many options from which to choose.

First off though, you will need to run component, especially if you want to take advantage of progressive scan, which you won't get via the s-video. I would personally recommend a mini bnc cable. Basically, it is five composite cables (R, G, B, H, & V) with a jacket around them. This makes it easier to install through the walls or conduit. The ends are ternminated with bnc connectors. This is especially made for HDef but you can use just 3 of the cables for component and have 2 cables as spare when needed. Provide us with the dynamics of the room for possible wiring solutions.

As for the projector & screen, once you have nailed down a projector, then you can decide on the matching screen. You basically have crt, lcd, dlp options available to you at that price. Take a read through this on the basics... Front Projection - How do I select one for my needs? for starters.

I know of a few very nice digital projectors and screens that would fit that $5K budget nicely.

AlexQ

Auditioning
Neil: Do you think I can buy a component to S video converter so on the DVD side is component and on the projector side is S video, would this work?

Alex

AlexQ

Auditioning
I am looking at Sony VPL-HS10, Sanyo PLV-Z2. They are lower price projectors but have good reviews. So I am still doing more research.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Have you looked into the Sony HS20?
I really like the Z1 so I am sure the Z2 is a great machine.
Just hard to find right now.

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,
Is it possible for you to use the composite cable to pull through a component cable? I highly doubt you will want to use the composite for anything anyway.

If you really aren't going to run component cables and are looking at lower end projectors the X1 might be good for you as it has a quality Faroudja de-interlacer that people generally praise. You won't need that new progressive scan player if you go this route (you must use component for progressive scan).

I would personally take some of that $5k and use it to run component cables and buy a cheaper projector.

-Ryan

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For $3K you could get a great projector in the Sony HS20 and for a bit cheaper, you can get the Sanyo Z2, both of which are native 16x9 wxga class projectors. Do what you can to get the component run. There has to be a way, and take advantage of progressive and also keep your options open for Hdef and HD-DVD.

AlexQ

Auditioning
Neil and Ryan:
Thanks for the input. I don't think I can use composite to pull this through. I may just run it outside on the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks