What's new

Need help with eyeglasses. (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Finally got my eyes checked and bought a pair of glasses last May.

Rarely ever use them, maybe two hours since I've had them

Not knowing what I was doing, the doctor talked me into a pair of bifocals, which I really hate. Went to Costco and got a really nice pair for distance vision. Still don't wear them much, but little by little I'm adjusting.

They're great glasses, but anything close is unreadable. Can't drive with them because I can't see the dashboard when I look in the car, yet I can see chrystal clear for miles outside the car. It's easier and safer to not wear anything. Road signs may be a little blury, can't count every leaf on a tree like my new glasses allow, but I can see safely in/out of the car without wearing those horrid bifocals, which give me a headache and make me dizzy.

What I was hoping to do is get by with a cheap pair of reading glasses for the very close stuff. Have no problem reading a book, paper, computer screen, etc. just the very tiny stuff like medicine documentation, food ingredients and others. I'm starting up a lot of science classes in January which will require a lot of microscope work, so need something that I can settle on and not have to keep changing glasses all the time depending on what's happening.

I was just thinking a cheap pair of reading glasses for most close-up work, but how to I pick one? Just keep trying them til I find one I like? Or is there something that will match my prescripsion?

R Sphere 1.00 Cylinder +25 Axis 23 (Prism has no entry)
L Sphere .75 Cylinder, Axis and Prism are blank

Another small section says A
D Bi +1.50
D Bi +1.50

Have never tried contacts. Would Costco or someone else sell just a few days supply to see if you can handle them? Or are you forced to buy them in fairly large batches. Plus, are the bifocal contacts just as annoying as regular glasses or worse?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
You should be able to get samples of contacts for free from your eye doctor. Usually that's what happens when you want to say switch brands, the eye doc will give you a sample in your strength and you'll wear them for a certain period. Afterwards, you have a follow up exam and if all is well, you can then get a prescription or buy them from the doc.

You can't really just go buy contacts since your eyeglass prescription is going to be different than contacts, however, the samples are generally free (the contact exam, generally isn't so the cost may be rolled into that, I don't know).

However, for reading glasses, harmon cosmetics, rite aid, CVS, etc all sell really cheap reading glasses if you are curious. You just go there and try on a bunch and see what is the best. they're cheap... real cheap!

jay

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
First of all, the doctor ought to be willing to replace the glasses with something you like, at no extra charge (unless what you choose costs more). When I first got glasses I tried bifocals and hated them, they gave me headaches. I then tried the progressives, the ones that don't have visible lines in them. Those are great. Of course they cost more, but are worth it.

I've gotten used to wearing my glasses almost 100% of the time. When I read in bed, I use a pair of prescription glasses that are for close-up only, which I really like.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I made do with drugstore reading glasses until a couple of years ago. It got to the point where I used a weak pair for distance and a separate stronger pair for reading, constantly swapping and sometimes doubling them up for really close work.

I finally broke down and got prescription progressives and absolutely hated them--the astigmatism correction made the steering wheel in my car look like it came out of the dash at a 30 degree angle and I got literally woozy sometimes. I went back to the opthalmologist and she adjusted the frames a little and told me to wear them as much as possible, and within a couple of weeks I found them to be indispensable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks