What's new

Need help please.....Denon 3803/Pioneer 45 (1 Viewer)

Brae

Supporting Actor
Jamey F, from your #8 post ...
Q: 2) Which has the best/cleanest amplifiers?
A: I do not think anyone on this forum, nor AVS, has had both AVR products in a lab with professional equipment to discern the cleanliness of the amplifier section. Nor do I think any consumers have the ability to determine if an unclean sound is coming from the amp section of an integrated receiver vs. a bad/poor transport layer where the processor feeds into the amplifier. Still than I would call caution and make sure those reporting have ruled out speaker problems, cabling, interference, etc. Finally, make sure you get your own hearing checked, and those you are relying upon when you call upon their experiences, recommendations, and evaluation. I freely admit my hearing isn't the best out there, I do not own laboratory-grade testing equipment, nor have quarters for conducting a proper evaluation. How about the rest of you? :)
Q: 3) Which implements multi room the best with possible multiple speakers running of only 2 channels. Denon seems to handle higher ohm loads better.
A: What the heck are you talking about? Are you saying that if Pioneer is incapable or will perform more poorly when used in conjunction with speaker loads having a higher nominal impedance rating? Somehow I would think any amplifier would have an easier time driving speaker loads with higher impedance values. Can you cite one publication, reference, etc. where this is a real concern? I am always open to learning new things, but this one is a first for me.
Q: 4) Which has the best upgrade paths to a future surround format.
A: I was not under the impression that these two mid-fi products were ungradable. Still, the current online pricing of these products is around $800, some +45% off their list price. Considering the depreciation factor they will be worth less than half their retail list in 18 months. In that time the cost of replacing seems alarming rediculous to be concerned about. Now, if you were looking at those Denon and Pioneer AVR products going for +$2,000 ... :)
Q: 5) Does either offer pre-ins for all/any channels?
A: This question, along with your first question can be answered by simply reading the PDF manuals which are freely available to every sole on the planet--including yours. I see that you are new to HTF, and probably other forums of common ilk, please do some legwork as you will get great satisfaction at getting information without persuasion--including my persuasion. :D
Q: 6) Which would be the best pre/pro if I upgraded to an outboard amplifier like a parasound 1205 for instance?
A: IMHO, the 45TX's MCACC makes getting your feet wet in the audio world something a lot easier and more user-friendly. YMMV.
Q: 7) Does either offer an easier upgrade to the receiver itself (updates to future surround formats or upgrades to receiver functions)?
A: I cannot speak for the Denon product line as I have not inquired myself. I have had one authorized Elite dealer tell me that Pioneer is considering making available upgrades for non-'i'-link AVR products so they can be capable of using Pioneer's next generation of DV players. I would urge you to do your research and maybe pick up a telephone, write a letter, spawn an email to both for this aspect of the product consideration.
Not one single integrated receiver or combination pre-pro and amp will be the sole deciding factor on how sound is produce to your ears. The very room the speakers are in, the source material, the source player, the cabling, the power conditioning, the overall environment (can we say moode lighting?), you dang hearing abilities, your mood all play into the overall equation as to how something will be presented to your ears, and interpreted by your brain.
Making the assumption that a receiver or pre-pro is in itself the single deciding factor in the audio game is naive, and one needs to understand that right from the beginning. A receiver or pre-pro that you fall in love with can be taken into another room and disappoint you. Changing speakers can also have similar or disimlar effects.
From your #10 post ...
The 'shutdown' experiences have been confirmed to be a design feature. I have shutdown all Elite receivers, and I learned this evening that a friend shutdown his Denon. I would rather have the $800 integrated receiver shut itself off that deliver clipping to my $3500 speaker, but you may have an opposing desire to destroy your speaker (good excuse to buy new ones!).
BTW, and interesting experience I had with a 3802 was when I was at HiFi Lies, hehe, and tried to get it to shut itself off. We cranked up the unit well pass SPL levels I had to conduct to shut off the Elites. We even got a little concerned that the Denon was going well beyond where we thought it should, so we shorted the front-left main loudspeaker. Still played on, though. This is where I got concerned, though, as distortion started to become present (albeit the soudn was also starting to hurt my ears). Yet, the unit would not shut itself off. We finally cringed and turned up the volume some more and finally the 3802 kicked off with a nice hot chassis to boot.
Was I impressed? No. That unit probably damaged some of those speakers that will ultimately wind up in the hands of some unsuspecting customer when their replacement models come in. Oh well, to each his own.
On your #12 post ...
Good job! I hope you get everything you expect to out of your purchase. Did you get a good deal? Hope so. Please keep us informed of any new information you learn about the 3803, and any problems, too.
BTW, I suppose the 3803 is the perfect low-end product for someone looking for an integrated receiver product to also handle the task of video cross-conversion. Still, converting crap (composite) or semi-crap (s-video) to an acceptable video stream will not make up for loss content, information that was never delivered in the first place, and certainly not help in any other aspect of the video path.
Still, if it means you only have to have one 3-conductor video cable going to your display and it makes the world, cheers! I think I will stick to dedicated paths for video and not expect the AVR to handle video alterations when one should be eliminating components from the video path, and not adding them.
Brian, on your #14 post ...
I would rather have my cheapo integrated receiver die a sudden death than my more expensive speakers. Since the Elite AVR's have the design feature to 'protect' the amplified outputs from clipping I would think of this as a good thing, as opposed to delivering clipped amplification. Of course, destrying speakers is someone else's gig and not mine. Happy clipping, man. :b
Mike Up on your #19 post ...
I would have to disagree with you. The reason is receivers should be able to drive full range speakers without shutdown, as every receiver I had was able to do that, ranging in MSRP from $250 to $1599.
Sorry, I humbly disagree with you. Not one integrated receiver manufacturer can account for every speaker product out there. The all make assumptions that typically assume a nominally rated speaker will not drop below half that nominal rating. Take my full-range speakers as a prime example. They are rated at 8-ohm nominal impedance, but they easily drop to 3-ohms at 90Hz, which amazingly is above the THX spec crossover point. Should I blame a receiver for not being able to handle 3-ohm loading? I think not. Still, I think a lot has to do with the particular characteristics of the speaker, the duration of the impedance dips, etc. before one can determine the severity of the speaker loading and to then be able to match it with suitable amplification.
Additionally, although my full-range speakers are nominally rated at 8-ohms, one must also look at the amplification range that can be accepted by their speakers. Maximum sustain amping for my full-range speakers is 210W, but the manufacturer is quick to state that can also be the minimum. Should I expect either of these two products to be up for the job? I doubt it. And my application is only one example of many that can be had.
Ahh, the debates of debates. Personally, I think you should buy both, allow yourself 1-hour setup time for each unit at separate times and calibrate as far as you can and give a listen in your own home, on your own speakers, and with your own source material. This is not an easy method to apply if you live in Atlanta, but maybe some of the shops around you will have easy return policies.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Alright, I'm a fair and balanced guy so I'm gonna jump on both sides here. I have the 49tx so I have both up conversion and MCACC. Brae if the 45tx had up conversion you wouldn't be against it. Also you don't have to use it if you don't want to you can still individually wire all composite, s-video, and component through separate outputs. Just like if receiver offers seaparate crossover points for different speakers you don't have to use it you can set them all to the same point. Also I used to own the 37tx it was my first "high-end" receiver and when I got it I will tell you I wasn't to impressed with the sound, it was quite bright sounding but I never complained because I was a newbie and you always stick up for what you purchased like what you 3803, and 45tx owners are doing now. But when I decided to upgrade to the 49tx I was expecting a similiar sonic signature but when I plugged it in I noticed it was warmer than my Yammie which was warmer than my 37tx and I really liked the sound. So the answer is yes they have changed thier design since the 26tx. I think Pioneer finally came to their senses with this 4x line and decided hey why don't we actually live up to our name and be Pioneers. Since then they have started to live up to their name, they were the first THX ULTRA2 certified receivers, the first to implement an Acoustic Calibration feature in a receiver, and the first company to use a NON-PROPREITARY digital connection to transfer ALL DVD-A's and ALL SACD'S.

Daniel Smith

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Ooohhh... wait I almost forgot to clear one other thing up, Mike RP the 47tx has 5-band eq same as the 45tx while the 49tx has a 9-band eq. There is no such thing as a 7-band MCACC.

Daniel Smith

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
Brae, thanks for giving the help you did, but after reading what obviously took you much time to write, I am left feeling insulted.

2) I'm asking what people think of the amp section in each piece. I guess I put you down for a no vote.

3) To clear your confusion. I will be running a possible 3 pairs (probably just 2 piars 8 ohms each) of speakers throughout the house on only the 2 zone2 channels. I know an external amp would be best, but hey, it's a question that might sway me towards one or the other. I know thats not the design of the receiver, and I probably won't do it, but it would be nice if either receiver is capable of doing it safely at low volume levels. With the Pioneer gettign posts of not being stable at 4 ohms and the Denon not getting those same posts, I would assume the better of the two for doing this would be the Denon.

4) I guess, niether offers an upgrade to their processing chips through software download, but $800+ is a bit more than a am/fm clock radio for me. I thought it was relevant to someone who doesn't spend 10k on stereo stuff each year.

5) I have for the record read the entire 3803 pdf file TWICE. I would not be the first to say reading a manual before having the actuall product to use as a guide is not the way to easily understand all the features a receiver has. The question I had that you were making this comment about perhaps was unclear so I will restate it in how I might use it. Will the recever allow me to use the recever as just a 7 channel amplifier later even if I don't want to use the receiver's processing features. I assume the 8 inputs it has on the back for each channel will, but I was just double checking thats what these are, and how they would function. Most of the time they are said to be used for using the receiver with an external decoder (like in a DVD player for DVD audio).

6) and 7) Thank you for your very inciteful opinion. That's what I was looking for the entire time.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Good Morning Everyone..........
Well, it seems I'm the one who may have got all this serious discussion going......... WOW!
It is fun - isn't it? Good discussion.......
I'm not going to have time to reply because I'm headed to GrandMa's house to keep her from getting run over by a drunk'in deer.
Ya all have a very Merry Christmas and I'll check this out on Thursday and see if we have any more good opinions going.
Brad - what a thread you got going!
Mike :)

Brae

Supporting Actor
DanielSmi, in your #25 post ...
Daniel, I am not against cross-conversion, just that I see its limited ability. My projector takes RBGHV which makes this feature null & void for my application. Additionally, I only see a cross-conversion feature that saves in cabling as I seriously doubt that even the 49TX can attain the quality of a true, dedicated scaler. If this were not the case, these companies would be market the heck out of this feature--well ahead of other features.
Now, the first company to tack on a cool $1K and claim a Faroudja processing & scaling ability will win a very big share of the existing +$2K AVR market, but that will ultimately becaome a +$3K market. :) I just do not see or expect an AVR product with its roots in audio being worth the cross-conversion to weigh into a decision in my home. Yes, its a matter of cabling convenience, but not for me. OTOH, the MCACC happens to be a convenient feature I can use, but I am sure others will not find it applicable in their home.
And in your #26 post ...
That would make the 47TX even less of a value than the 45TX. :D
Mike Up, in your #27 post ...
Like I said, if an amp is shutting down, it's 2 reasons: either it's overheating or it's drawing to many amps for the design
And if the unit does not shutdown and simply catches fire this is Ok? Or if I hear enough audible clipping from across the street and the unit does not shutdown this is good? Hehe ;)
I would greatly appreciate any URL pointers to the complaints you have read regarding the 45TX. I can complain about a lot of things, but then again this could be attributable to user-error (we're human, we make mistakes, and we are lazy, which means we seldom read manuals).
Jamey in your #28 post ...
I certainly did not mean to make you feel insulted, and hereby apologize for any unintentional comment, tone, etc. that may have conveyed words interpreted as an insult. I noted you were new (just like myself), capable of being ignorant (I still am), etc. Sorry, and I apologize.
All I meant to suggest to you was to read, research, read some more, and ask many questions. If there is one thing I have learned during this past year (I haven't been on AVS or HTF for a year yet) is that emotions tend to run strong and high, loyalties abound, and so forth.
I would like to think I am an anomoly when it comes to products--I will tell you the good and the bad, including stuff I currently own (I would advise you to go register, if you have not done so thus far, on AVS and read the almost 500-reply thread regarding the 45TX I started some months ago. You will find a host of issue/features having been discussed.
If you want detailed information from an owner, post there as you will find a concentration of Elite AVR owners in that thread. You will also find Juan, MikeRP, DanielSmi and many others offering critical feedback regarding the 45TX as a standalone new product and where it fits into the Elite AVR lineup. You will also find a strong following for the Denon line on HTF to learn from.
But, with everything you read take it with the largest grain of salt the Avery mine can find for you! Again, emotions run high, sometimes people see the anonimty of the Internet to unleash harsh words that can be taken to the wrong emotional extent.
Now, as far as comparing these two fine AVR products keep in mind that many that chose and bought the 45TX did so prior to the 3803 being released. As such, they also compared the 45TX to the 3802--myself included. But, because I could not afford a Lixicon MC-1 pre-pro, the more expensive component in my system were the speaker over the AVR. So, I happily accepted the Elite design to shutdown upon non-audible clipping. If I have to wait for audible clipping to be heard, then my speakers have already suffered damage. And that's a $3500 loss I do not care to deal with.
Again, my apology for anything taken in ill context, and if you would like to converse off-line I am a chatty fellow and will offer you plenty to chat about. Cheers, and Merry Xmas! :b

Josh_Z

Agent
Mike Up,

I think you have missed the point of the MCACC feature.

It is designed to compensate for room acoustics, not completely alter the sound of your speaker.

There are two settings in the system. One EQs your system, as best as possible, to Air Studios. The other EQs your center and surrounds to the frequency response of your front mains.

The errors you talk about where the system sets a small speaker to large ect. are generated from the frequency response that speaker creates in the room. Just because someone looks at a speaker and says "that is large" doesn't mean that it can measure up to what a large speaker needs to produce. Also, there are far more variables when it comes to speaker response and manufacturers overstating what the speaker can actually do.

Also, I think that your amplifier criterea for shutting down is a little limited. I believe that modern amplifiers also have distortion circuits that monitor the signal as well.

Responding to speaker impedance ratings. I believe that the nominal impedance is more of an average impedance. So when a speaker dips to 3 ohms, as long as it doesn't stay down there long over the frequency spectrum, it can be considered a higher than 6 ohm speaker. Maybe some other guru can expand on this.

I think that Denon makes a fine product and have owned both. You should audition an Elite that has been setup using this system instead of railing something you have never heard.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Josh_Z, my speaker's tendancies to hit the 3-4 ohms range is, in part, because of the two 8" bass drivers included in the cabinet, which are capable of reproducing 39Hz bass frequencies before rolling off. The drawback is in the speaker and not the amplifier.

If I set the speakers to Small (letting the subwoofer hand bass reproduction) or simply amplify the mid-range and high-frequency drivers I can go beyond reference levels on my integrated receiver. Its only when I introduct the situation os asking the receiver's amplifier to provide current for a load that drops considerable into an abyss for bass reproduction that this becomes a problem.

I have acknowledge this aspect of my main loadspeakers as a condition placed upon any receiver, not just the 45TX or Elite line. I would rather have my receiver shut itself off under these conditions that ask the amplifier to over-drive itself, and the speakers, into oblivion.

BTW, you are very correct on the MCACC calibration. It is simply amazing how it can take a complex room (mine has no symmetry at all!) and make it sound good. I've backed that statement up with measurements & testing. I would have had to spend a lot longer trying to do it manually.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Just to inform you guys, one requirement of an acoustically perfect room is that there are no parellel boundaries the means the walls aren't parellel and also even the floor and ceiling aren't parellel; this way it's alot harder to have any sortof of cancellation issues.

Daniel Smith

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
OK...(in a sarcastic voice), that's going just entirely too far. I want good sound, but having to make my ceiling and floors unparallel? Tell that to my builder who spent days lining up just the walls in my house to make sure they werwe parallel. He was upset enough when I told him more than 3 inches of a gap behind my master toilet wasn't going to be acceptable.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like a post vanished or didn't get posted. Anyway, thank Brae. Everyone have a Merry Christmas while I'm thinkin of it. If that turkey starts clucking, stick it back in the oven. If you start clucking seek professional help.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Daniel, thanks to the subcontracting company that framed my spec home there is no such thing as parallel walls. :D
Hope everyone gets some much needed relaxation out of these holidays. I know I will. Cheers!

Brad Newton

Second Unit
Thanks guys for all of the response......even though a lot of it is over my head. It seems like each receiver has its pluses & minuses. I guess I have to decide if I prefer the video conversion over the MCAA (whatever). I have also looked at the ONkyo 900 and the Sony 4ES. All four of these units look comparable. Since this will be my 1st HT system, I am trying to acquire all of the knowledge and information that I can. Keep it coming.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
MCACC=Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration Circuit.
Mike UP I expected you to say don't shutdown your 45tx with all that cristmas music. HAHA:D .
What you could do with your ceiling is instead of making it flat make the ceiling come to a point in the middle like a roof. But houses aren't designed with dedicated Home Theater rooms in mind only rich people that build their own houses might do that.
Daniel Smith

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Been gone a couple of days and was afraid to click on this thread for fear of the carnage--glad to see everybody's gotten into the spirit of the season.

Brad, you won't go wrong with any of the receivers on your list--you'll enjoy whatever you end up with.

Once you've made your choice, hooked everything up and calibrated it, just pop in some really great sounding movie sit back in the dark and feel that chill run down your spine when that sound sweeps from front to rear during the THX or DTS trailer. Then you get that "wow this is worth it" feeling.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Steve, we all wore armor plating to protect ourselves and used interpreters to filter out the harsh stuff. :)

JimmyA

Grip
While I like the idea of the MCACC, being a rookie, I'm wondering whether the THX Select certification of the 45TX will be okay in my environment. I have one of those acoustically-challenged floorplans (the real estate agents like to call them 'Open') where my 20x20 family room adjoins an 18x16 kitchen/nook. It's basically one big room.

Technically, I would need to step up to THX Ultra2 for this kind of room volume, but both the 47TX/49TX are budget busters. Will the 45TX perform acceptably, assuming I don't need ear-bleeding sound, or will the room configuration minimize the effectiveness of the 45's THX processing?

Jim

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Jimmy:

I can comment here. I have the same problem. I have a 14 by 45 open area where the HT is currently. The HT is is an area 14 x 18 and this works very well.

The sound certainly bleed over into the kitchen but I have the listening area surrounded well by speakers and it works good.

But, if your room is 20x20 you'll have about 3200 ft3 under the soundstage.

The room won't eliminate the effectiveness of the processing but to achieve reference levels of 105 db you may tax the 45. Add a 2 channel amp and I'd bet you'll be fine. Although that is Ultra 2 room volume.....

One thing you could do would be to show the speaker layout and the room on schematics and get some ideas from the guys us here and over on AVSForum.

Good luck!

Mike

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
My room is 30' long and 16' wide with a vaulted ceiling that reaches 18', almost half the room opens up to the kitchen. I have an amp hooked up to the front three channels, the surrounds and surround backs are driven by the 45TX. I have watched movies and listened to music at 0 with out a problem. I would recommend a three channel amp so the sound will be the same across the front stage.

Brae

Supporting Actor
JimmyA, somehow I doubt you have me beat. My current setup (pre-basement theater) is a 16'x18' rectangular room with one corner tapered via a 3' diagonal wall. The short-wall intersecting this taper has a 10' wide opening spilling most of the sound into the combination breakfast & kitchen areas, which are also 16' wide and go for another 25'. Beyond those rooms is the open-doorway into the dining room. Let's just say my main loudspeakers are projecting a good 50' in distance before encountering a solid wall.
Now, take that original room and look at its elevation. The tapered corner stop's at the 10' mark and opens into the corradore into the second floor of the house. There is one long wall with four windows and a fireplace that rises 14' until it hits the roof. This roof-line travels up until the elevation of 18' and then stays flat until it hits the other long-wall. There is absolutely no symmetry in this room. The combinaed open volume is about 9,000 cubic-feet not including free-access to major halls.
Conversely, the basement theater when finished will be a nice rectangular box forming just under 3,000 cubic-feet of volume. I am running my 45TX in 5.1 mode for now as I have not yet purchased my rear-surrounds. MCACC has calibrated itself to reference levels and taken into account the shape and openess of its present location, and I get a nice SPL at the primary listeneing location.
I am driving Paradigm Reference Studio 100's, with matching ADP surrounds and CC center channel. I would dare anyone claiming an ability to calibrate the 45TX manually in less than an hour and come out with a better end result. Then, when they do finish, to leave my home unpaid--which is how MCACC charges me. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks