What's new

Need help on Projection TV. (1 Viewer)

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
On Sunday, we purchased a 51” RCA Scenium HDTV from a local place here and when they delivered it, we placed it in our bedroom and proceeded to adjust the picture and sound. We were watching the nightly news and noticed on the ticker at the bottom that it would seem to come out fast at the beginning, then stretch thin and as it trailed off the screen, I could visibly see that the letters would get further apart and stretch almost as if there was a concaved section in the middle. The problem could only been seen with a ticker and you can’t see any discoloration in the bottom corners. I am looking at returning but I did purchase the floor model, we paid for the extended 2 year warranty so I don’t see a problem but I don’t want the same one. My question is in regards to the problem. What would cause this and if I can’t return it, can it be easily fixed through the warranty?
Thank you in advance…

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
this is almost certainly due to some sort of "panorama" or "stretch" mode on the tv to allow a 4:3 program to fill up the entire screen, (as it is EXACTLY what this sort of mode does on my Samsung) yet not be stretched as much in the center...it's what I call a "compromise" mode, when running non-widescreen programming..it's NOT anything wrong w/ the TV...I think :)

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
went into user convergence and set it up perfectly. I then proceeded to use auto which messed it up. I noticed that the auto-convergence even messed with the color, blackness, and other picture settings. I had to refix. I don't have that same problem with my 65" HD Mitsu and the advantage of the mitsu is I can switch to 4x3 to get a crisp picture. (even in stretched I never noticed that problem)

I hope they don't know of this problem when I attempt to return to get the 55" Mitsu instead.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This sounds like unless it's some kind of squeeze mode (this would be very obvious), it's probably just geometry distortion. You can manually get the convergence grid not only converged, but measured equal across the screen to try to minimize geometry issues which are present with CRT displays. Usually it's not a big deal but you can see it best things like slow pans, scrolling credits, etc, as you've noted by watching the scrolling text.

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
Within the time that I started this post, I have contacted an old manager of the place that I bought the set from and discussed my options. They never put on the invoice that it was indeed a floor model and gave me tips on pricing and how to tell when I can haggle. I called and spoke to one of his ex-employees whom he told me to speak with. I discussed the situation and that his ex-mgr asked me to call him directly. He said just come in and pick a different one and they will either charge/credit me the difference. I am looking to switch to WS-55313 which does not have optical out like the RCA but I can change the format to 4x3 which is what I want for the time being. If they go for my offer, I will be spending $50.00 bucks less than what I paid for a new set. Thanks for all of your help guys.

I can’t wait for TiVO HD!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks