What's new

Need Help Linking HT and Whole House Receivers (1 Viewer)

Tim-S

Auditioning
I just discovered this fantastic site last night. There's so much great info here, I could literally spend days reading. Please don't tell my wife. :b

I am a music fan, but I am definitely not an audiophile. For the last 1+ years, I have been using a Panasonic SA-XR50 digital receiver to power both my HT and my whole-house audio (using the speaker B terminals). I currently have speakers in the master bedroom and master bath, and plan to add speakers on the deck, the office, and the downstairs family room. The speakers don't function in zones--every speaker plays the same source, but I do use a SIMA impedance-mathcing speaker selector, and Buffalo Technologies impedance-matching volume controls in the individual rooms.

My bride has recently expressed some frustration with the fact that the HT powers the whole-house audio. Example: my son and I are in the living room playing XBOX, which runs through the HT. She wants to take a bath, with some nice soothing tunes playing in the master bath. CONFLICT: You can't have both on at the same time, as one receiver powers both.

So now I cam considering buying a new Panasonic SA-XR55 digital receiver for the HT, and demoting my XR50 to whole-house duties. My question is, can I have cross-over connections so that the whole-house receiver will play an output from the HT receiver, or vice versa? My biggest concern is that the HT speakers are the only speakers we have in the living room, so I'm looking for a way to pump whole-house audio through the HT setup. Make sense?

Many thanks!

John Titan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Tim,

If I understand you correctly you want to be able to play all of your sources hooked up to your HT trough your whole house audio system. The Panasonic SA-XR50 has a digital output so that you can send any digital sources to the new receiver. If your using analog you'll have to use the tape-out (rec) to send an analog signal to the new receiver.One can't play the other through the respectable outputs and vice-versa. I have a dedicated receiver for my whole house audio system and purchased a cheap dvd/cd player at wal-mart just for the system (about 35$). I dont know what other sources you might want through the WHA system. I never play anything but the radio or a cd through mine so it made sense for me just to buy a cheap cd player and use it just for the WHA system. Plus my WHA system is up-stairs and my HT is down stairs. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks