What's new

Need help from Baldur's Gate 2/Icewind Dale Pros (1 Viewer)

Jason L.

Second Unit
I have previously played and completed Baldur's Gate and the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack.

I just received Icewind Dale and the expansion pack, as well as BG2 and the expansion pack.

I have 2 questions:

1. Any opinions as to whether I should play Icewind Dale or BG2 first?

2. I remember that Tales of the Sword Coast had some gameplay improvements over BG that made things easier, such as being able to group items automatically, such as gems, etc.

Should I install the expansion packs [for IceWind Dale and BG2] right after I install the main program, or should I wait until I finish the main game and then install the expansion pack?

Thanks in advance.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Icewind Dale and BG2 have nothing to do with each other, storywise. Icewind Dale also won't use your BG or BG2 characters, so its really a matter of what seems more appealing to you.

I prefer to install the expansion pack immediately, as it often adds aditional items into the main game, as well as increasing the experience cap.

Icewind Dale does have some interface improvements (like you said, item stacking/grouping, bags, etc..), but BG2 also has these. BG2 isn't dependant on Icewind Dale to implement these updates.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
As Don said these two games have nothing to do with each other storyline wise so you can play them in whatever order you like.

Also IMMEDIATELY install the expansion for Icewind Dale. It allows you to play the game at 800X600 instead of the default 640X480. The graphics improvement alone warrants the installation. Also if you haven't done so already download the Trials of the Luremaster expansiion for ICewind Dale. Its a free downloadable quest from Black Isle. It comes in at around 75meg if I remember correclty but it is worth it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For those with Icewind Dale:

1. Can you create more than one character for your party? BG1 bummed me out because you only had one PC and all the others were NPCs.

2. Does Icewind refine the BG1 engine and do true turn based role playing? Or is it still in that pseudo-real-time mode that BG1 used?

Thanks!

Glenn L

Stunt Coordinator
To answer your first question, in IWD all the chars are player created.
I don't know about #2.
Btw, if you like, in BG1 you can create all your own characters and play them in one group by creating them then importing them into a multiplayer game (I think :))

Jason L.

Second Unit
Would the correct installation procedure for these 2 games go like this?

IceWind Dale:

1. Install Icewind Dale.

2. Install Heart of Winter exansion pack.

3. Install Trials of the Luremaster - this is the free download [This should include the patch for the Heart of Winter expansion pack].

Baldur's Gate II:

1. Install Baldur's Gate II.

2. Install Throne of Bhaal expansion pack.

3. Install patch for Throne of Bhaal expansion pack.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I would start with Icewind Dale since it is simpler in structure and more linear (plays faster). It still uses the real time combat (although using the space bar to stop combat and issue commands works pretty effectively). ID also has a fair amount of combat strategy. You will often need to use tactics to control the combats and make them winable (for example, you could rush into a group of giants and take your chances, or you might try a more tactical approach ...).

As to BG2 I would install the expansion but you will not likely use it until you are almost finished. There is one dungeon that is accessible to characters before the end sequence but it is a pretty tough dungeon so you might do the end game before you hit it. The expansion is great and definitely look for the neat easter egg (instructions to activate the egg are in the first spoiler, the egg is in the second):

Egg Instructions -

In one of the dungeon's you are tasked to collect a beholder's eye. Although you can go hack your way through some beholders to get it, there is another way. There are some statues of adventurers near you. If you use a stone to flesh spell on them you can hire them to get the eye (they are very low level characters).

Egg results -

They return from the dungeons with your eye but they get greedy and attack your god-like characters and are immediately killed. You then see a comment indicating one of them is reloading and they are back alive. They now give you the eye very obsequiously. They are overjoyed at your 100gp reward. A pretty funny egg for the save and reload RPG'ers, like me. Also you get the bronze pantaloons as a reward this way.

Cheers,

Kenneth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks