What's new

Need expert advice on what to buy. I am starting from scratch (1 Viewer)

WillPec

Grip
Hi all. I need some help. My wife recently got a deal at her work where she can get electronics at a local chain for 10 % above cost :), so we figured what better way to spend a few grand then a new home set up. Right now we are looking at a sony kv-36fv27, for basically no other reason then it looked good to us. Are there better T.V.'s out there in the below $2000 range, and are there advantages to direct view versus projection other then picture quality? Also, we are looking into a new reciever and speaker set up in the range of $800 to $1300 for both the surround speakers and reciever. Any suggestions here? We were looking at sony again, because the set was sony, dumb reason, but we have no idea at all. Also, does anyone have an idea on what the typical markup is on TV and reciever/speaker sets so we have a better idea of what we can afford. Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I havent bought new gear in over 10 years. Any responses would be appreciated or any suggestions on web related info if I am posting in the wrong area.
-WillPec

RichardH

Supporting Actor
If you're intent on buying from said store, let us know what brands they carry. In general people will recommend against Sony receivers until you get into the ES range.

You might find that despite your discount, if might make more sense to go with brands available online if the store doesn't carry anything competitive, even after deep discount.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well definately go with the Sony ES line if you want to stick to Sony...all their other stuff is crap. also, DO NOT BUY SONY SPEAKERS!! they cant 'speak' worth a darn.

i'd say allocate about $400 for the receiver and $700 for speakers. what brands does the store carry? until i get a response, here's a good starter package: JBL NSP-1 speaker package ($299) and a Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer (~$425 online). you could also add a few $$ into the speaker fund and use the SVS 25-31CS with a cheap $100 plate amp (this would be $469 total), and that would run circles around the otherwise-dominant Hsu.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks