What's new

Need DVD Player sugestions (1 Viewer)

Jeremy:::

Auditioning
I need a DVD Player. Here's what I'm looking for

I'd like HDMI output, though I could use component. TV has HDMI input.
DVD-A, SACD, 5.1 output
Quality DACs to fit well with the receiver
No major flaws, like not passing blacker-than-black
Bass management (It seems this is needed for MC audio)

I'll be running this through a Onkyo TX-SR702.

Any suggestions? I was looking at the Denon DVD-2910. $699 seems a little high for a DVD player though, and it's hard to find deals on Denon, esp this model.

Thanks,

Jeremy

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Hey Jeremy, welcome to the fourms. Your question is pretty subjective and it looks like you know pretty much what you want. I would suggest you do a search on this forum area and read what the members have to say about the various DVD player makes and models that are available. Asking a question like this sort of opens up the thread for differing opinions which often leads to heated arguments about which player is the "best" and ends up getting pretty confusing. You would be better served doing a search and coming to your own conclusions.:)

Jeremy:::

Auditioning
I have read this forum quite a bit. I know enough to be dangerous. I just wanted to throw my requirements out to the group and see if anyone had suggestions.

Jeremy

John Merck

Auditioning
Hi Jeremy,

If you tell me your display type and model number, I can beter assist you with the best player for you.

Without that info, does your display have a DVI/HDCP or better video input, or is component the best you can get?

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
stands for digital analog converter. cds and dvds must be translated from their digital form to analog to be heard or displayed. using a cd or dvd player as a "transport" only is when you use digital outs from the player and use the receivers dac. i use an analog stereo receiver, so i use my dvd players dac for audio (by using rca (analog) outs. all sacd and dvd-a playback uses the players dac - hence the common complaint of inadequate bass management on universal players (as home theatre digital receivers have flexible surround settings for movies). i believe there is more upgrade quality in video dac as opposed to audio dac when choosing higher end players, and the quality will be much more noticable with large high def televisions. - i'm new here so if i'm wrong please correct and make fun of me ;)
oh and as for the threads question - i have the yamaha c750 universal changer - but for your needs (if you like 5-disk) the c950 comes out soon i think - with better video dacs and connectivity.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,

The latest issue (March/April 2005) of "The Perfect Vision" magazine has a good article on DVD players from every conceivable price range ($20.00 to $12K). They include their "Best Picks" for each range. I think this may be of help to you.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks