What's new

I've Got A Pioneer 1014 And Sorry Speakers (1 Viewer)

Hal

Grip
Seven year old Bose 201 series IV's for mains with a JBL Flix1 center and two JBL Flix1 surrounds. A Sony KV-32HS420 HDTV, and a Pioneer 578A DVD player are recent additions to my living room.

So next on my list of stuff I can't live without are some decent speakers to go with my nifty new receiver. Here in Alaska there aren't exactly a plethora of shops to audition speakers. I picked up the 1014 at Best Buy but auditoning speakers there brings to mind Dante's Hell.

I have a shop that has sugested Paradigm Titans and a CC-170 to start out with. They don't have a CC-170 for me to listen to. The DO have a Boston Acoustic VRC center and that sounds NICE. But as I have a small budget to play with I was thinking of getting a pair of Boston Acoustic CR77's to go with the VRC.

The shop manager suggests they would not be a good match but I can't afford the VR1's. Surrounds and a sub are gonna have to wait till after the the opening of fly fishing season. I NEED a new Sage rod...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

"Well, my pad is very messy and there’s whiskers on my chin
And I’m all hung up on music, and I always play to win
I ain’t got no time for lovin’ ’cause my time is all used up
Just sittin’ ’round creatin’ all that groovy kind of stuff"

Wolf

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend choosing your mains first and buying the center without hearing it if you need to. The center is going to sound much like the mains.

I would audition the Bostons and the Paradigms, pick your favorite pair and go from there.

By the way fishing is also my other love. Some way up north fishing sounds amazing! I cannot wait for the open water again, the ice fishing has been slow this year.

Hal

Grip
Hi Dave,
I was hoping to be able to add a center and fronts for around $500. But the VRC is $400 by itself.

Aaron,
I thought the center was the most important element in a HT sound system? I compared the Paradigm Titans and the BA CR67 and CR77's. I listen to rock and the Bostons sounded better to me.

I don't ice fish myself. Our Summer is shorter than down South but it is spectacular!

Wolf

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I paid $500 for a JBL EC35 center and a pair of E80 mains.

I think @ the 500 price point for all 3, the JBL's are really tough to beat. I am really happy with my setup for the $$ I spent on them.
Cost me around 675 for the 7 of my 7.1 (add another $140 for a Dayton 10" whi8ch is on it's way) and I think you wil have a tought time finding anything in the 7.1 speaker setup arena to beat it @ $800 for all! Add $400 for my 1014tx and it is an auduio setup that is hard to match for $1200!

Hal

Grip
Where did you get the JBL's Mikey? I pretty much have to buy locally as shipping heavy/bulky things to The Last Frontier is spendy.

Wolf

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Hal:

You are right about the center but Paradigm makes good stuff so you are safe to consider them even though you cannot hear the center. I'd say if you liked the Titans better than the Bostons then I'd go for them without hearing the center. Sounds like you are leaning towards the Bostons however! That makes your decision easier.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
bhphoto.com is where I got the E80s and n24's. Electronics-expo is where I got the ec35. harmon store @ ebay is where i got the e10's.

Hal

Grip
Buying large or heavy items online and having them shipped to Alaska isn't usually cost effective. It's like we don't even have a star on the flag.

But, I just discovered I have a friend who can get Polk or Klipsch speakers for me at cost plus 10%. SO it's back to the drawing board...

Wolf

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Hal what about getting JandR to pricematch another place, they have alot of free shipping deals.

Hal

Grip
Hey guys!

We Chosen Frozen few rarely get those "free" shipping deals. It says in the small print something like this:

"You get to live in a place of spectacular beauty with the best fly fishing on the planet so you don't get free shipping you lucky &^()% you! In fact because WE never get to see the Northern Lights we are going to charge you a premium just to give us your money."

I have wanted some Klipsch's since the mid 70's when I worked in a store that had La Scala's for sale. Oh my, I wanted a pair of those!

I went to BB yesterday to "audition" the Athenas but they couldn't get their display to work. Pitiful.

I wonder if some bookshelf Klipsch's might work well for me. Merlin, my Tonkinese Cat, and the apple of my eye, has told me in so many meows those Towers look purrfect for a nice stretching session while sharpening his claws...

Wolf

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks