What's new

need Anime DVD suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Christopher LM

Auditioning
Hello all:

Although I have always enjoyed anime since Sci-Fi network began broadcasting anime a number of years ago, I didn't really fully begin to appreciate it's beauty until I started to watch Anime in DVD.

I am interested in getting suggestions on region 1 Anime titles that are in anamorphic widescreen and 5.1 sound.

So far I know of:

Ah My Goddess - the movie
Tenchi Forever - the movie
Ghost in the Machine
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Bloodlust - the vampire

I've read that Escaline the movie due out later this summer will be in anamorphic widescreen and 5.1 sound.

Can people suggest other Anime titles in anamorphic and 5.1 sound for me to add to my collection. Basically, I'm interested in adding the titles that kick ass in terms of video and audio quality. Also, if someone knows of any anime feature length movies that are not in anomorphic but consider it a must for a collection, I'd like to hear about those as well.

Movies I have that fall into that category so far include:

Tenchi 1 and 2 - the movie
Ninja Scroll
Perfect Blue

I'm looking forward to your suggestions

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Can people suggest other Anime titles in anamorphic and 5.1 sound for me to add to my collection. Basically, I'm interested in adding the titles that kick ass in terms of video and audio quality. Also, if someone knows of any anime feature length movies that are not in anomorphic but consider it a must for a collection, I'd like to hear about those as well.
Do a search, the question has been asked countless times

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Would this be English or Japanese 5.1?
Actually, a lot of new TV series in Japan are being released in widescreen anamorphic along with 5.1 dolby digital. Some of these are coming over like Earth Girl Arjuna, released by Bandai in the states. Some have widescreen anamorphic with regular stereo, like Noir, released by ADV Films in the staes. Some series are 4:3 with 5.1 dolby digital like Initial D, which will be released by TOKYOPOP in the states.
Pioneer is releasing 3 series in anamorphic widescreen with dolby digital 2.0 stereo. Chobits, Automatic Maiden Mahoromatic, and Hellsing (I believe Hellsing was widescreen and not 4:3...I could be wrong). And they are releasing 1 OAV series in anamorphic widescreen with DD2.0, Gatekeepers 21, along with the new Patlabor movie in 5.1 and anamorphic widescreen. Pioneer will also be releasing Vandread: Second Stage but if the source material is the same as the Japanese, then it will only be letterboxed widescreen rather than anamorphic widescreen like the R2 DVDs.
ADV is releasing 2 series in anamorphic widescreen with dolby digital 2.0. Noir, and Rahxephon, and 2 OVA series in anamorphic widescreen with DD2.0, I Wish You Were Here, and Rurouni Kenshin OVA #2.
Manga Entertainment will be releasing 2 OVA series in widescreen, Kai Doh Maru and Read or Die (I think this was in widescreen), 2 movies in widescreen with possible 5.1, Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion.
Bandai USA will be releasing Earth Girl Arjuna in DD2.0 and anamorphic widescreen. They will also be releasing the rest of the Gundam movies which will be in anarmphic and 5.1 as well, including Char's Counterattack, and Gundam F91. Escaflowne Movie is due out this month.
TOKYOPOP is releasing Initial D in the exact same format as the Japanese DVD release with 5.1 audio remix. However, controversy with the name changing will most likely delay the DVD.
Urban Vision will be releasing Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust with the Japanese audio track in 5.1 DTS and DD with anamorphic widescreen.
Sony Columbia/Tristar will be releasing Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door movie in widescreen and 5.1 DD.
A lot of newer movies are getting the 5.1 mix in Japan. Older movies pre-1999 are mostly still in stereo or mono. Japan didn't really adopt 5.1 for most anime movies until 1999-2000 when theaters started to be re-outfitted for dolby digital 5.1 (most theaters in Japan up to this point were still in pro-logic stereo). So, if the movie doesn't have a Japanese 5.1 mix, it probably was made before the change-over, unless the studio does a re-mix, like the Gundam movies or Akira, or such.
If I can come up with some more, I'll do my best.
Edit: Ugh, I forgot the R1 Akira doesn't have the 5.1 for the Japanese track. Only the R2 has it, and I have that edition as well.

Tim RH

Second Unit
Blood: The Last Vampire (not to be confused with Vampire Hunter D) is pretty good, anamorphic/5.1, the animation is stunning, but the film is short (only about 49 minutes).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
2 movies in widescreen with possible 5.1, Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion
I think I read somewhere that both movies will be in 5.1 for the English track, but not the Japanese one. The director of the series and the movies said he didn't want a 5.1 Japanese track when he made the movies, so we're SOL on a 5.1 OSL on these DVDs.

It should be noted that both of these movies should be watched after the series.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Morgan,

I do recall Manga implying they are redoing the Japanese audio for a 5.1 DD release for the Eva movies.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's not hard to do when you have the stems, just apply the same stuff you applied to the dub dialogue and voila, 5.1 Japanese

It has nothing to do with the director, but the fact that only about 10 theaters in Japan had DD 5.1 when the film came out.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I didn't mean to imply that the director didn't want the OSL in 5.1 but that they weren't given a 5.1 OSL and won't remake it for the DVD.

That's what I heard.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Quite possible. I'm happy witha DPL mix, It's very front heavy in DPL and I don't think a 5.1 would do much to improve it

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The English dub cast is also being reunited for the movie (or already was, I guess) and they were pretty good. Watch the movie in OSL subs, then watch it in English to hear all the loudness from 5 channels (with a sub channel).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks