What's new

Need advice re speaker wire connections (1 Viewer)

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I am in the process of redecorating my theater. In the process I am redoing my speaker connection wall plate that currently has RCA connectors. My receiver has the 4 or 5 way (whatever it is) posts that accept banana plugs, bare wire, spades etc.
My questions is: are there any preferred methods for the connections (wall and receiver in this case)? Forget the speaker ends for now as they are Bose (now please, I know, I'll fix it when I can afford it) with RCA connectors. Should I go banana plugs or what?
Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I prefer a straight uninterrupted cable from receiver to speaker, so I left enough slack on both ends to accomplish this. Banana plugs at each wall mean four more opportunities for a connection problem--per speaker. However, since the jacks are already there, I suppose you’re committed.
Of course, bananas are always preferable to RCAs for speaker connections. Actually anything is preferable to RCA connectors, no matter what the application, but unfortunately we have to live with them.
I suppose you’ve already figured out a way to interface the banana plugs with your Bose speakers?
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List
[Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on August 05, 2001 at 10:11 PM]

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I did the same thing as Wayne: I have speaker wire going through blank-wall plates that I drilled holes through. Both the speaker and receiver ends use dual-banana plugs from Radio Shack.
This gives me a un-broken path now, a clean-looking installation, but I can always trim the wires later and add wall-plates with binding posts.
I really like the dual-bananas because they have a solid black-bar between them to prevent shorts, and I have not had a loose connection in nearly 2 years. They also make it simple to disconnect when I want to focus on just one speaker or the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks