Need advice on DVD players that would play +/- media

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by anthony_b, Nov 10, 2004.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I just started backing up my home videos(wedding,birthdays,etc..) on blank dvd -/+ media.

Which players can play these without much fuss ?.. My onkyo is pretty good at it but doesn't like certain brands of DVD +R.

I'm not intrested in progressive scan performance (I let my HDTV do that for me)...just a decent interlaced picture, and less than $125 (this would be my 4th player in the house).

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Go find yourself a Pioneer 578s-a on clearance at Best Buy for $99 (or less if open box). It's advertised to play DVD-R/RW, but doesn't mention DVD+R/RW. I can vouch that it will play DVD+R. I bought one for my brother exactly for that reason. Good video dacs and audio. Hey, you get a universal to boot!

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

My experience has been that certain brands play -R/-RW and some play +R/+RW. If it doesn't say so in the manual and just mentions it's compatible with only one format, it will probably NOT play the other. My Samsung DVD HD841 plays all formats without a hitch. However, the list price is about $200.00 since it also upscales and has DVI output. I have a 2 year old Panasonic that will not play the DVDs burned on my Gateway DVDR(+R/+RW format)only -R/-RW discs. Most players will play one or the other in your price range. You will really have to shop around if you want a player that will handle all formats. Unless you get a real cheapie, you are gonna get progressive scan, even players way under 100 bucks in the 70-100 dollar price range are progressive scan capable these days.