What's new

Need advice on DVD players that would play +/- media (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I just started backing up my home videos(wedding,birthdays,etc..) on blank dvd -/+ media.

Which players can play these without much fuss ?.. My onkyo is pretty good at it but doesn't like certain brands of DVD +R.

I'm not intrested in progressive scan performance (I let my HDTV do that for me)...just a decent interlaced picture, and less than $125 (this would be my 4th player in the house).

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Go find yourself a Pioneer 578s-a on clearance at Best Buy for $99 (or less if open box). It's advertised to play DVD-R/RW, but doesn't mention DVD+R/RW. I can vouch that it will play DVD+R. I bought one for my brother exactly for that reason. Good video dacs and audio. Hey, you get a universal to boot!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
My experience has been that certain brands play -R/-RW and some play +R/+RW. If it doesn't say so in the manual and just mentions it's compatible with only one format, it will probably NOT play the other. My Samsung DVD HD841 plays all formats without a hitch. However, the list price is about $200.00 since it also upscales and has DVI output. I have a 2 year old Panasonic that will not play the DVDs burned on my Gateway DVDR(+R/+RW format)only -R/-RW discs. Most players will play one or the other in your price range. You will really have to shop around if you want a player that will handle all formats. Unless you get a real cheapie, you are gonna get progressive scan, even players way under 100 bucks in the 70-100 dollar price range are progressive scan capable these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks