What's new

Need advice for 1st time sub project (1 Viewer)

meeks

Agent
Hey guys, first post here. Ive already become bored with my STF-2 & would like take a pretty big next step. I would love a PB12-2+ but dont want to dish out $1100 for one, so Im looking torwards the DIY route. This will be my first time trying to build a sub but Im not worried by that because I think I have the qualities that would be helpful like patience, im picky about details & I think its more fun to build/work on something yourself since you gain alot more knowledge & satisfaction. Also my brother has a bandsaw & router so that helps:) I have been reading up the last 2 weeks on others DIY projects & have heard good things about the Avalanche subs, 15" or 18". Im wanting to build a sub for only hometheater since thats all I use it for so its going to have to dig deep & I want to really feel it. Also if anyone could give a sugguestion on a good book to read on how do build speakers that would be great. So if anyone has any sugguestions for setups I would really love to hear them.

meeks

Agent
Doh, forgot that. I figure I could sell my stf-2 for close to $300 & then wouldnt mind dishing out another 3-400. With that I could get a pb12isd but still dont think that would give me what I am looking for since my room is so big, I dont know exact dimensions since there isnt a wall seperating it from the dining room, kitchen & other rooms. Also im renting the house so no IB setup as much as I would love one.

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
As always, I'd recommend considering infinite baffle. If thats not for you then you have several options. If you want something seriously crazy build a 10-12 cu.ft. (or bigger) ported box with an 18" Avalanche and ~1000W amp. It'll be huge, but it will bitchslap that PB12-Plus/2 around the block.

If the size is too much for you then step down to a high excursion 15". The Avalanche 15 is a great choice, after that the Dayton Titanic 15" and Ascenedant Audio Atlas 15" are good choices. Adire should be coming out with their new drivers fairly soon, so there might be more options on the way.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Have you considered a Sonotube sub? A 10-12 cu.ft. might be hard to build if you don't have a table saw. But with just a router and a band saw you can easily make a sonosub and it won't weigh 300 lbs.

stephanX

Stunt Coordinator
id go the sonotube rouite, i built mine with only a jigsaw and a router (used jigsaw and router with sadning drum to get my ports nice and exact). And i love my atlas 15, i have enough output to visibly flex my windows in a 10x12' room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks