What's new

Need a USB Gampad controller recommendation for SNES ROM play. (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Yeah...you read that right! There's still a few of us "geazers" out there, still playing the classics!

I’m currently using a Gravis Gamepad Pro, but the thumb pad is too soft. I need one like the original SNES controller that you can feel all eight positions. Does such an animal exist?

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I have read on the net people who have used the original joysticks on the computer, It is a lil bit of modding soldering mostly but something you would wanna use for your PC. you can probally pick up the Snes controller on Ebay for like pennies!! Good Luck

here is a start there are more Detailed schematics available on the net:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/76

:emoji_thumbsup:

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
it's funny, i bought an xbox and sony psp, and i have no games for either. i only use them for emulation :) the psp cant really handle anything better than snes, but the xbox can run most n64 games. maybe i am one of those geezers too, but i think the older games are usually better.

adapting an original controller for your pc would be very cool.

CJ

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Gerald: Good info and thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Christ: If you're using an xBox and a PSP for emulation, I've only got one thing to say to you. Welcome to the "Old Geezers Club"!

Bill_WA

Auditioning
Why not use the original snes game pad? if you dont mind doing a little soldering. I recently bought this chip that works for snes and nes. I used my nes controller for it and it works perfectly!
you can get the chip or you can buy a pad that they already converted.
since i haven't posted 15 times, i cant post the link yet, but do a search for "retro usb nintendo" or "retrozone"

Bill_WA

Auditioning
btw, i forgot to mention that retrozone's chip uses generic usb drivers. i know it works with xp pro without installing anything.
- sorry if it sounds like i'm trying make a sale. but i do like this product alot.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I get a lot of good use out of my xbox controller on the pc, it's a straight splice job. Colors on the wires even match.

The new wired 360 controllers work without any modding neccessary, just have to grab the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks