What's new

Need a SPDIF coax audio switcher! (1 Viewer)

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
I will very soon have three devices that output digital audio via a coaxial SPDIF (DVD, computer, and HD receiver coming in a week or so). Unfortunately, my receiver (Onkyo DS656) only has two coaxial SPDIF inputs. The lone optical input on the receiver is occupied by my XBox, so I can't incorporate that into a solution.

So now I need a switcher!

Can I just use one of those radio shack composite video splitters for this purpose (~$25), or is there some bandwidth issues that would prevent this solution?

Since I plan on upgrading audio receivers within 12-18 months, this switcher will be a somewhat temporary device. For that reason I don't want to spend a lot of money on a top of the line product. On the other hand, I want minimal quality loss.

Any ideas for solutions are appreciated!

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Thanks for the help guys. I think the Radio Shack clearance optical switch will do the trick for now. It's also good to know composite video switches will suffice for audio too, should I need additional coaxial digitals.

This will address my needs until I can afford a much more capable audio receiver in the future (hopefully one with more than three component ins)!

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Thanks Bob, I have been following that thread off and on for a few months. I actually got a cheap component switcher after it was mentioned. It was a "MadCatz HDTV Selector" or something. It was $35 CDN. It's still in use right now, but the quality is not that good. I can see faint horizontal lines equally spaced about an inch apart, for the entire height of the screen.

I'm interested in the Audio Authority 1154 for this reason, and the fact I also need audio switching.

Unfortunately finding a 1154 dealer in Canada is proving impossible! I've even e-mailed them inquiring about dealers in Canada, but it's been nearly a week now with no response. (Frustrating how many companies ignore customer e-mails nowadays, but that's another story).

I'll probably make do with the $30 optical switcher from Radio Shack mentioned above for now, but I'll still be keeping an eye out for the 1154.

Does anyone know where I might find one in Canada, or even a U.S. dealer that's Canada-friendly?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks