What's new

Need a Maytag man!! (1 Viewer)

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
My psycho Kenmore dryer (it will turn 2 years old this upcoming July) is getting too hot and shrinking my clothes. The first Sears repairman said the thermastats were bad and he replaced them. Then he said it was actually the knob making the theramstats go bad. He didn't have the part but he would mail it to me. He showed me how to swap out the knob electronics, which I did.

That didn't fix the dryer. Sears sent a second repairman out. He said the dryer was fine and the vent was clogged. The dryer vents out through the roof (1 story house). The repairman claimed that the vent was at least 20 feet long and vents can't be longer than 10 feet - dryers simply can't handle it. He told me to chop the ductwork and vent the dryer into the attic.

Yesterday a chimney sweep confirmed that the dryer is vented properly AND the ductwork wasn't clogged up or dirty.

This psycho out-of-warranty Kenmore dryer is still heating up uncontrollably. Sears' only response to send a third repairman out a week from tomorrow. I'm on the verge of buying a new dryer and demanding my money back from Sears for these bogus repairs (and the chimney sweep).

HELP!! Is there a part I can replace on this thing? Or should I pony up for GE with a 5 year warranty?

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what to tell you. It does sound like the temp sensor (which is typically located in the air stream, not on the knob) is out, preventing the heater from being controlled. I'm guessing here, though.

If you do decide to buy new (I prefer Maytag, myself), whatever you get, make sure it's a dryer with the wetness sensor in the drum space. We have the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer, and the clothes are perfectly (literally) dried, every time.

Todd

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
Or if you don't want to pony up the 1800 for the Neptune set, just get a maytag Atlantis that has the Intellidry moisture sensor in it. Usually you can pick one up for the 400 dollar range. And Maytag gives you an extra year on parts that the other guys don't do. Keep that in mind too. Good luck and happy drying

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
1800 for the Neptune set,
Really? I wouldn't pay that, either. We paid $1350 for the set, delivered, from Best Buy. We bought in '99, though.
I'm very satisfied with the washer. Even when loaded to the gills, it uses less water than our old, two sizes smaller Whirlpool. It also is much easier on our clothes- probably doubled the usable life of our stuff. This is good for a no-slave-to-fashion-I'd-rather-get-more-DVDs kind of guy like myself.:) And, it is SILENT. The dryer is louder.
Sorry for the quasi-hijack. If you're handy with a multimeter, you could probably fix it yourself.
Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks