Best Buy Warrenties Are A Rip Off!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Sallows, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Justin Sallows

Justin Sallows Auditioning

BOY OH BOY! I can't describe the hell I've been through since buying this POS at Best buy. Don't get me wrong, despite the defects I can see that the Panasonic 47" widescreen HDTV is a great TV. If I do one good thing in my life, I want it to be to dissuade someone from buying the 4 year warrenty at Best Buy. It turns out that the whole thing is a scam. I used to think it was a gamble, that they lost money on some warrenties but made money on others. It turns out that is not the case. Best Buy ALWAYS wins! They never spend beyond a certain percentage of what you paid for the warrenty, and they wont even do THAT on open items (which this one is). I've been dealing with this TV for 3 weeks, and all I've ever been offered is a refund. Yes, that's right, the same refund guarenteed by Federal Law, with or without a warrenty. I found out that you're barely getting anything at all. In the first year, they use the manufactuerer's warrenty, which you ALREADY OWN WHEN YOU BUY THE TV. They do the repair/replacement and Panasonic writes them a check, wether you have a 4-year plan or not. True, you have an additional 3 years coverage, but read the small print. Count how many times they say "at our discretion", it's in there like 4-5 times! They sent a repairman to inspect the TV and he was aghast at how damaged it truly was. I thought burn-in only affected the SCREEN, but he showed me all 3 tubes with shadows burned into them. Thus, they would all have to be replaced, at $300 a pop. Also, the convergenge board, which also houses the audio components was shot. Just for the parts necessary to get the machine back in working order (pretty much all of them) it was going to surpass the amount I paid for the TV. I wasn't too worried about this because, hey, Best Buy sold me a warrenty and it was their problem now right? WRONG. The repairman told me that Best Buy would never pay for the repairs and I'd be lucky if I got a replacement. I called Best Buy warrenties immediately and they said "no problem" they would replace the TV which calmed me down. Imagine my surprise when a couple of days later the repairman called to inform me that Best Buy had decided not to do anything for my TV, "at their discretion"!!!! I can't tell you how many hours I've spend on hold listening to musac over this TV. I can't tell you how many different answers I've gotten to the same questions, but the ultimate decision of "No way Jose" was final, leaving me with a broken TV that I just paid $1600.00 for plus the $300.00 warrenty. THAT WARRENTY IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE TOILET PAPER I'VE EVER OWNED!!! So I call Best Buy and ask if I can return it. They say yes (because they have to by law). I ask that, since I already paid $35.00 to have a lemon shipped to my house, if they would cover the cost to pick it up. They say "Sure, but you'll have to bring in the receipt". At lunch I bring in the receipt only to hear "Where's the TV? We can't do a return or exchange without the TV". Eventually I get ahold of the guy I talked to on the phone, and he straightens them out. It takes a lot of wrangling and advice swapping from other managers, and more than a few terse words from the woman who initially said I had to have the TV there. She eventually just pushed my papers aside and started helping the people behind me. The original guy had to take over. THANK GOD this nightmare apears to be on the verge of ending. I returned my worthless warrenty and set a time for pick-up, which I will have to take off work for of course. This will be the third time! Then I'll have to schedule a delivery time, more time off. The good news is that the guy helping me said Best Buy will pick up the tab for both deliveries. Of course that 4 year warrenty was supposed to be the pot at the end of the rainbow, so we'll see. Anyway, thanks for allowing me to vent. Beleive me this is the stripped down version. Bottom line, Best Buy Warrenties are NEVER worth it.

2. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

Sorry to hear about that.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I agree... I bought a cheap VCR there for something like $60 and they wanted to sell me a warranty with it. When I said "no", the guy insisted he know why I didn't want it. If I remember correctly, the warranty said I would have to bring my VCR in on a regular basis for cleaning and such otherwise the warranty would be voided. Well, I am not going to cart a $60 VCR around town every six months or so to get it "cleaned". The guy was stumped.

It's obvious the employees receive some sort of comission for warranty sales. This guy was insistant I buy it... I was just about to say "f*ck the VCR.. I'll go across the street to Circuit City" when he decided to back off.

Sheesh.

4. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

Best Buy employees recieve a HUGE comission on warranties sold.

5. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

Best Buy employee: "You're definately going to need a warranty with this sub."
    Me: "So it's definately going to break? If it's crap I don't want it, hell with it."
    Best Buy employee: (realizing he's about to lose sale) "No, no, I never said that, it's a great sub, very durable."
    [​IMG]

6. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Mick Wright - funny - that's what I said. I told the guy that if I thought it would break in 4 years I was not going to buy it.

I then asked him if HE thought it was going to break.

They are ripoffs for sure.

7. Curtis H.

Curtis H. Auditioning

A show was aired months ago that had to do with Best Buys extended warranty "push."
    If I remember correctly, BB makes more profit from the warranties than on the products they sell and employees are instructed to give you the ole sales pitch.
    I haven't had time to give it a real look over yet but found BestBuySux.org.
    Personally, I never get extended warranties. [​IMG]

8. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Yeah I can't stand those warrenties. They try and sell them to me on everysingle thing that I buy besides music and dvd's. Thankfully my dad taught me at a young age that these warrenties aren't worth it. Thank's Dad.

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

It's not just their extended warranties. Just try to return something to them and you'll understand what interrogation is all about. Next time I do that, I'm calling in a rep from the Geneva accord to mediate the treatment their prized customers receive.

10. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

I never buy extended warrenties except from one place, the Stereo Advantage stores. I buy a lot of different electronics from them and they fix everything they sell for free. I usually buy a extended warrenties from them on parts and have had many occasion to take back items. I am probably even on the money but have not had any major items go down. There is never any BS with repairs. I just bought a 50" Toshiba RPPTV from them and there is a slight surcharge for house calls - worth it to me as I don't feel like carting that baby back.

11. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

From what you said, Justin, you bought an open-box TV and the extra warranty?
    What probably happened was that the TV was a floor sample, and played all day and all evening with the contrast all the way up so the tubes got burned. And in most cases the tubes are not even covered by both the factory warranty and the extended waranty.
    Next time, don't buy an open box projection TV, at least don't buy it unless you can poke your head inside and inspect the tubes for obvious burn and also play the solid color screens of Video Essentials or AVIA to detect more subtle burn.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

12. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I would *NEVER* buy a demo model of a direct-view TV, moreso an RPTV. I was considering going demo model for my WEGA but the great folks here talked me out of it. You never know what kind of problems you'll run into from a TV like that being on 8 hours a day.

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The only commission that BB employees get on warranties is that they get to keep their jobs

14. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Agent

I'm going through something similar right now. I purchased a Sony 43" open box. After 2 weeks of owning it I noticed the picture just flat out sucked so I called best buy to see about exchanging it since it was still within the 30 days. Turns out the model was discontinued and they said I should go ahead and have the repair guy come out to fix it. So the repair guy comes in and he said he would have to take it in and it would be 2 weeks before they could even service it. So I decided I would just return it for a refund. Well turns out while I was waiting for the repair guy to come out I went 3 days past the 30 day period. Then when I try to return it they told me no. So I had a good little chat with the manager, and he decided he would let me return it, but the catch is he will only give me store credit. How the heck is that fair? I tried to return it before the 30 days and I took their advice on having the service guy look at it, and now they won't give me a refund.

15. Justin Sallows

Scott, I feel your pain. It's obvious that Best Buy could give a crap about either their employees or their customers. When I bought my TV there, I just assumed it was in working condition. They wouldn't sell it if it wasn't right? I asked about the warrenty, and even though he was relentlessly trying to sell me the warrenty (It felt like he was trying to pick a fight with me, practically calling me stupid for not getting one), he said the 30 day warrenty was there to protect me. BS! They have all these extenuating circumstances that gets them off the hook. The last time I was there, the TV manager said he didn't understand why they didn't service it because they did with "pre-existing condition" merchandise all the time. I guess they would be more than happy to for $50-$100.00, but if it was actually going to COST them money, then forget it, fall back on small print. I hope everyone on this list realizes that Best Buy warrenties are completely worthless. They are selling you bottled air by using the manufacturers warrenty which you already own and beyond that you get the shaft. It's hard to blame the employees themselves for this because they are threatened everyday with being fired if they don't bully the customers with point of sale purchases and warrenties. It's the whole company. I just hope this thread helps someone out there to make the right decision to NOT get a warrenty and save themselves the hassle. You can read literally THOUSANDS of complaints, many by the employees themselves at www.bestbuysux.org I highly encourage you to read this before any major purchase at Best Buy. As far as I'm concerned, I got no problem buying DVDs and CDs there, but that's it. By the way, I'm in charge of purchasing for a large company and many subsidiaries, so my decision will definately impact sales for them. Maybe if they lose enough, they will learn. BAD MONKEY! SLAP!

16. Justin Sallows

I have to leave work now and go wait (and hope) that they show up to pick up my TV. I'll be without a TV at all for at least 3 days, guess I'll find a book. I will probably buy the TV from SEARS as I hear they have GREAT customer service.

17. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Buying an open item television at BB could mean you were buying a demo TV, a return from another customer, or a serviced television. In the warehouse, there are probably 4 to 5 projos waiting to be put out on the floor b/c they were service returns.

Regular BB salespeople do not earn commission. The department seniors, supervisors, sales managers, and store managers all earn performance based "bonuses" so they can say that they aren't on commission.

As far as your TV, the "service" plan is supposed to have a no lemon policy. Buying an open item television does not give you a replacement, it only would give you the amount you paid for the TV toward the purchase of another.

18. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Agent

Well I was basically forced to get another tv from them because they would only give me store credit. So I went ahead and splurged for a more expensive tv, but you can bet I'm not going to be buying the service plan for $300.

19. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well I bought the 4 year warranty on my RPTV in Sept 2000. So far I haven't had to use it. But I'd go ballistic and give them holy hell if they tried to refuse me. One good thing though, I got such a great deal on my TV, it's not so bad having bought the warranty. They delivered the 58" model even though I bought the 53" one. And I didn't even realize it for a couple weeks. Then as an incentive, sort of in lieu of a price match, they gave me, no charge, a Pioneer DV-434. So for less than what the 58" would have cost before taxes, I got the 58", taxes paid, the 4 year warranty and the DVD Player.

20. Justin Sallows

OK, here's an update, and more proof that Best uy just can't seem to do anything right. I returned the TV a week ago. So far Best Buy has not credited my card back yet. I've been calling and calling, but so far it "The check's in the mail" response. Finally I get someone to talk to me about it, and they can't find any record at all of the return. Gee, that's curious isn't it? So now here I sit with no TV, I had to borrow my girlfriends 19" until I get this straightened out. Meanwhile I'm paying interest on $1800.00 that officially Best Buy says they don't owe me. "Turn on the fun" MY ASS!