1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

need 1" and 1.5" mdf

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walt Park, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

I bought a kit that calls for 1" and 1.5" mdf, but I went to Home Depot and Menards, and they only carry 1/2 and 3/4. Does MDF come in 1 and 1.5"? Also can I just double up the 1/2 and 3/4 to get the 1 and 1.5? I'm a little bit concerned about the gap since that's apparantly the arguement against using a plywood. Anyone know for sure?

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

If you look around you ought to be able to find true 1" but most of it is 7/8". For the 1.5 simply glue two 3/4" together

3. Andrew Walbert

Andrew Walbert Stunt Coordinator

Good luck finding true 1" MDF, as just about nobody carries it. You could try talking to somebody at your local car audio shop and see where they get their stuff, as high-power subwoofer boxes require the 1" MDF. Other than that, I don't know of any national chains that carry it. As far as I know, there aren't any places that sell 1.5" MDF at all, though you might be able to find 1.5" HDF (high density fiberboard). But do yourself a favor and don't use HDF, as you'll destroy whatever you use to cut it. If you glued two 3/4" boards together tightly, it would be sufficiently strong that it won't break, bend, or otherwise fail structurally. Even 3/4" MDF is incredibly strong, so I can only imagine how tough 1.5" would be. MDF is really just sawdust that has been mixed with glue to form a board, so I would think that combining two boards that way wouldn't compromise anything.

Just my $.02

4. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

The most common way is to glue and screw two pieces together to get 1" or 1.5" Depending on how large the panels are you need to put together you might be able to get by with just glue and clamps. 1.25" drywall screws are cheap so you might as well use them.

Marine plywood comes in 1" and 1.5" sizes but the price will cause a heart attack. Makes damn good speaker boxes though.

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

When building enclosures that need 1.5" thick walls, I simply build the inner box with 3/4" MDF and then glue and nail oversized pieces of 3/4" MDF on each side. Then I come back with a flush trim bit and trim the excess off. It's a great way to come up with perfect edges on your enclosure.

6. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

Thanks all. Looks like I'll be busting out the tools tomorrow. [​IMG]