What's new

Neat CBS sci-fi series for 2003 (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Link Removed
Lawyers in 2053. I like it; supposedly it's already got a commitment (likely 13 episodes) and will also run on Sci-Fi (probably a week or so later, as USA does with the two newer "Law & Order" series). It's an idea so obvious I'm stunned that it took so long to come up with (and will take even longer).
There was a goofy story on Link Removed a few days ago about a potential "NYPD Blue 2024", but I guess that's not happening.
(What really disappoints me is that the ancient Roman cop show never happened. Sure, it would have been a "Cop Rock"-esque eight-episode novelty, but you need these bizarro ideas every once in a while)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jason, for the simple reason I acknowledge very infrequently that perhaps a small fraction of your Star Trek opinions are somewhat valid, I will check this series out. :)
It doesn't surprise me the concept appeals to you--I remember your idea for a fifth Star Trek series from almost two years ago. There's a vague similarity in a way.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Sounds like it might be cool, hope my cbs affilliate is up and running with HD soon enough (fat chance).

There was a one-off Roman private-eye tv movie on some of the cable channels a while back--Starz I think. The show looked to have been an Australian production and was based on a series of books written by Lindsey Davis (check out Borders, they have several of them).
It was pretty good, imho, and sure looked like a pilot to me.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, when it premieres next fall, it will be "50 years in the future", a nice, easily grasped number.

Personally, I think this is a potential gold mine - cloning alone could probably give you a season or two of interesting cases, and with "Homicide" and "Law & Order" vets working on it, the writing at least should be decent.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
"Now And Again" lasted one complete, 22-episode season, and if I recall had a pretty stable timeslot. Heck, its early, strong start was given as one of the reasons "Harsh Realm" tanked. It, unfortunately, wasn't economically worth renewing for CBS.

To be honest, I don't really expect this show to last more than 13 episodes before cancellation or a budget cut so that the Sci-Fi Channel can cover the entire cost. Sci-Fi just seems to be too much of a niche market to survive on the Big Three nowadays.

I think this show has a chance to survive, though, because its creators are good TV people who probably have a good idea how to run a good legal drama, and its setting gives it some of what "The X-Files" had going for it - it doesn't look like sci-fi (nobody running around in their PJ's or with funky spotted heads), but lets the viewer wrap his head around a neat concept.

Won't know until October '03, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks