What's new

Near Dark - Great movie/DVD looks SOLID! (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, first off: I've always really liked this movie. My story is much like anyone who adores Near Dark: saw it as a teen, was intrigued by the Aliens - heavy cast (i.e. Henriksen, Paxton, Goldstein), already had a deep love for horror flicks, etc.
But to those who've never seen it, Near Dark is, in my mind, a MUCH better vampire flick than The Lost Boys, Vampires, From Dusk Till Dawn. Come to think of it, I'd put this one near the top of ANY Vampire Flick Top Ten list. I really think it's that good.
Enter the horror fan's best friend, Anchor Bay Entertainment. (Forgive me for skipping the VHS/LD history. ;) ) I was planning on purchasing this title back when they first announced it, but NOW it's a glossy-looking and extras-laden 2-disc set! Have a look:

Pretty sweet. The set comes up with a commentary with director Kathryn Bigelow, an all-new featurette, trailers, and what seems to be a whole lot of interesting goodies.
I know I'm preaching to several members of the choir here, but I was hoping this thread could maybe turn some newcomers on to this criminally underrated movie.
The Digital Bits has their review up, and you can see it here.
Lastly, those looking for to purchase this one may be advised to check out this Best Buy special. (No, I don't work for Best Buy; just trying to help out my fellow consumers!) ;)
If you're looking forward to seeing Near Dark for the first time, please stop back later and let us know what you thought (movie, DVD, etc.)!
Near Dark hits DVD on 9/10. Can't wait! :emoji_thumbsup:

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I've already pre-ordered, but thought I'd chime in in support anyway. Near Dark is a movie I pretty much stumbled over back in the early '90s, and it's been a favourite ever since: it was my first experience with the work of Kathryn (Strange Days) Bigelow.
(Incidentally, Near Dark makes a great double-bill with Bigelow's ex-husband's film Aliens, given the high proportion of shared cast.)
Mmmm, mmmm... Near Dark... :)
doug

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I have this pre-ordered aswell. Looking forward to what i consider to be the best vampire flick ever made!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This classic is quite simply the BEST vampire film of all time, and is a HUGE favorite of mine obviously! Everything about it fits so perfectly. Lance Henriksen and Bill Paxton are spectacular and totally badass in their portrayel of two of the vamps, and Jenette Goldstein (Diamondback) is quite hot to say the least! The rural Texas and Oklahoma settings are a perfect backdrop for the horror that unfolds. The score (I think by Tangerine Dream) is simply wonderful, and again, a perfect fit. The main character, Caleb's inner struggle with what he has become and what he should do is very interesting to watch. This film is a classic by all means, and I simply can't wait for the upcoming AB DVD, and I've been impatiently waiting for it ever since AB announced it!

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I think this is a no-brainer purchase. I'm a big fan of the vampire genre, and I have always felt that Near Dark delivers. Although, maybe not as close to my heart as some of the Hammer interpretations, Near Dark was a great surprise when it came out. The packaging looks great...I'm there

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen this film, but...you guys just keep compelling me to buy it unseen. Consider me down.

Bruce

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I love Kathryn Bigelow, gona have to get that as well. Also, DDD always has it at $18 shipped, no crappy specials from huge crappy greedy chains with dumb employees needed :D

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This is a great Vampire movie. Bill Paxton's finest hour next to Aliens. I have been waiting for a good widescreen transfer of this movie for a long time. I'm glad to hear that Anchor Bay is delivering the goods with this one as they usually do. I can finally retire my old dark and grainy laserdisc.

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
You can pre-order at BestBuy.com for $15.99 with free shipping and a $5 coupon on shipping date. So, basically $10.99!!!

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was pretty good but I didn't like it as much as some of you it seems. Might still check it out.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Jussi, yes, I have, and I still think NEAR DARK is the best. My regarding it as the best is no more wrong than your regarding NOSFERATU as the best, because there is a thing called opinions ya know. You keep your's, and I'll certainly keep mine, thank you very much!

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Why am I not surprised Lenny Nero likes Kathryn Bigelow? :)
Put me down as a BIG fan of "Near Dark". I've already pre-ordered as well...

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, preorder price is $17.99 at Best Buy. Where do you see it for $15.99?

And thanks for the heads up Scott. A must have for me.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I haven't seen this film, but...you guys just keep compelling me to buy it unseen. Consider me down.
This is one of the best things about the HTF and the DVD Community. I've never heard of Near Dark, but when I see threads with such unanimous praise for a movie, I feel completely confident in ordering it sight unseen. I purchsed Ghost World and Amelie the same way and absolutely love both movies!!

Oh, and in case anyone isnt aware, Bestbuy.com has it for $15.99 with free S&H.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks