What's new

NBA 2007-2008 season discussion (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As of now, the Kidd to Dallas deal is off due to Devean George invoking a no trade clause. Of course, he may yet be persuaded (financially or otherwise) to accept the trade.

Unless Dallas can resign Stackhouse after New Jersey waves him, I do not think this deal makes the Mavs any better. They give up a younger point guard for a declining Kidd, and give up bench depth in Stackhouse.

On the local radio yesterday the talk was about the Pistons potentially going after Stackhouse, should this deal go through. I just do not see it happening. I think he would either rejoin Dallas or go to Boston. He would not get much playing time in Detroit, and has just as good a chance to win a title in Boston. He has a home in Dallas, too.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I don't really understand the Kidd deal. IMO, Devin Harris is currently better than Kidd by himself, nevermind having to give him and a few other players/picks up to bring Kidd.

I continue to be amazed about how tightly bunched up the West is. The Rockets are currently on pace to win over 55 games...and they're only on the bubble, but it doesn't really matter because they're only 4-1/2 games out of being the #1 seed. Crazy. The best record to never make the playoffs is 45-37 (the 2001-02 Rockets, IIRC) - that's likely going to be shattered this season by *at least* one team.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Meanwhile, there are only five teams in the East with winning records. Boston and Detroit are legitimate title contenders, but I do not think any other team in the conference has a shot. Orlando struggles against quality opponents, and Cleveland is a one-man team.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
The 9th place team in the Western Conference has a .615 winning percentage, which would be good enough for 3rd in the East. At this current pace, a team with 50 wins would be a lottery team.

That is simply incredible.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I like how the Pistons have won 10 in a row, yet have only gained a game and a half on the Celtics during the win streak, thanks to Boston going 8-2 in their last 10.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Earlier, Mike Bibby was traded to the Hawks. Many Sactown fans were upset when the Kings traded Jason Williams for him, but it was a great trade for the team. He was their most dependable player in all those playoff runs the Kings made.

Kidd to Mavs deal finally goes through. I don't know if this will be a good trade for the Mavs, but I do know that it's good to be a retired NBA player this year. Aaron McKie and Keith Van Horn were signed by teams that still had their rights and given big bucks (relative to everyone else on the planet) to make the salaries match. If only Spreewell had such foresight before retiring.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
What a mega-trade between the Bulls, Cavs and Sonics. Ben Wallace is now on his 3rd team in less than 3 seasons.

Here's the rundown on the trade:

Cavaliers get:
Bulls F/C Ben Wallace
Bulls F Joe Smith
Bulls 2009 2nd-round pick
Sonics F Wally Szczerbiak
Sonics G Delonte West

Bulls get:

Cavaliers F Drew Gooden
Cavaliers G Larry Hughes
Cavaliers F Cedric Simmons
Cavaliers G Shannon Brown

Sonics get:

Cavaliers F Ira Newble
Cavaliers F Donyell Marshall
Bulls F Adrian Griffin

It's all for nothing since the Pistons are going to beat the Cavs in the playoffs anyways! :D

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I hope you are right, but I am actually more afraid of the Cavs after this trade. So what was in this for the Sonics? Money move?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I think the Cavs helped themselves against many teams, Detroit is not one of them. Drew Gooden always gave them fits and Larry Hughes was a decent defender on Rip, now they don't have that, and they still need a point guard.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Like the AFC and the American League, it is a lot tougher to make the playoffs in the Western Conference.

The 76ers are 7-3 in their last 10, but all of those wins were at home. I'm not sure if I want them to make the playoffs or tank the season.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Thats pretty funny. At least I posted mine yesterday, or last night at least so it doesn't look like I stole it from him. If it means anything, I can't stand McCosky and haven't read his stuff in years. Talked to a couple of buddies of mine today and they are thinking the exact same thing anyways. Not a deal that really worries me too much.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
The Cavs trade is strange to me because it had so many players involved, three teams, and yet I'm not sure anyone really got all that much better. I guess Cleveland might be a little better but at the same time I don't think it's quite good enough to fulfill Lebron's cries for help.

I like the Kurt Thomas deal for San Antonio, even if it makes them even older than they are.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
On paper, I would say the Cavs got a little better; all of the players they got could have some on court value. Even if the team didn't get better, Lebron was vocal about the team trading for some talent, so perhaps the front office is thinking that at least the move could have the appearance of upgrading to Lebron.

If the Cavs do improve, Lebron could win the MVP this year. He is having the best individual performance season so far, but voters tend to like players on teams on pace for more wins. Right now it looks like Lebron, Kobe, Chris Paul and KG are the top candidates.

Just a couple of seasons ago, the Bulls looked like the brightest young team in the league. Then they traded away Tyson Chandler and signed Big Ben, even though Chandler is cheaper, better and younger. At different points, they were thought of as the frontrunners to trade for KG, Gasol, and Kobe. Now it looks pretty grim--they would rather take on Hughes' contract than Wallace's.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
And things haven't exactly panned out too well for Wallace (besides all the bank I mean). I still think that had he stayed in Detroit the Pistons would have another title and Wallace's reputation would be better. I am glad that the Pistons didn't overpay to keep him, but it was not like he was going to go poor if he really wanted to stay as much as he said he did.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Great game today between the Lakers and the Mavs. Looked like playoff basketball and we're still 20+ games left in the regular season. The Mavs are a great team and they're in 6th place in the West. Sheesh.

Whoever survives the gauntlet of the West still has to play Boston or Detroit for the championship (I wouldn't bet on the Cavs, no matter how brilliant LeBron is).

I know NBA basketball is pretty much a dead topic at the HTF, but this has been the most entertaining and eventful regular season in NBA history. The team that holds that trophy in June (and their fans) will be incredibly happy. Good luck to all, and can we please have no more significant injuries??

Houston fans, I feel your pain.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Kobe's bizarre free throw shooting in the first half made the game a little scary today. I guess...he made up for it. :)

I wouldn't be too sorry for Houston fans yet. Even without Yao, they have now won 15 in a row, including today's big win over Denver, one of the 9 teams competing for a playoff spot. I love the ageless finger waving wonder known as Dikembe Mutombo.

The West is just too scary right now. The Mavs are about equally close to being 1st place as out of the playoffs. If something goes wrong, a juggernaut like the Mavs (bench pretty thin compared to before) or Suns (2-4 with Shaq) could miss the playoffs completely!

I still wouldn't count out the Cavs, just because of Lebron. He is playing great right now. He averaged close to 30-9-9 with 50% in February, and seems to have no problems closing out games anymore.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do not think Cleveland has much of a chance in the East. Even with their recent trades, they are still mostly a one-man team. Also, they will likely have to beat both Boston and Detroit to get to the Finals. They may be able to upset one, but I doubt they can beat both teams back-to-back. Last season the Cavs had a cake walk in the playoffs before facing the Pistons in the conference finals. That will not be the case this year.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Mutombo is amazing. The Rockets are already trying to convince him to come back for another season :)

Losing Yao probably kills the Rockets' hopes of a deep playoff run, but depending on the match-ups they might still be good enough to pull off a first round upset. They've got great chemistry right now, the defense might be even better than it was under Van Gundy, and they can only keep improving on offense because they're only barely into learning Adelman's system.

They also have a much stronger team than they did last year because they've finally got a real power forward rotation: stealing Scola from the Spurs is almost like a miniature Gasol trade (and it doesn't seem like the Rockets have realized just how many post moves he has) and Carl Landry is a dunking machine (but with a nice jumpshot, too). Both guys are absolutely nonstop on the court - I can't count the number of times I've seen an opposing team seemingly secure a rebound only for Landry to come soaring in from somewhere off the tv screen to rip it away or at least get a jump ball out of it (which he always wins because he's a great leaper).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks