What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Wall-E (2008) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Heh yeah right Disney will never let Criterion touch Song of the South with a 9 1/2 foot pole.

I should have included my own personal opinion of that tweet in saying that it can't be the ENTIRE catalog given the situation with SOTS which will never be resolved.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Just read a tweet that the entire Disney catalog is open for licensing.

Not certain how accurate it is, but interesting to see and if true, perhaps we will see quite a few more releases like this.

Given that the same tweet says that the movie was re-rendered in 4K, almost certainly made up.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I suppose Candleshoe could be possible since Wes Anderson once said that it was his favorite movie or something to that effect.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The discfther blocked me a couple months ago for calling him out on his fake news and harassing people like HighDefNews Justin Sluss.
Also has posted photos of other people’s children in a harassing manner.
That’s a garbage account.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has now dropped the price of WALL-E Criterion to $24.01, which is 52% off its $49.95 list price. That's less money than I usually pay on street date for a standard Criterion Blu-ray, much less one of their 4K discs. Even a Barnes & Noble sale wouldn't get it that cheap.

I don't have any idea how long that price will last, but if you've been on the fence about this edition, you might want to consider it now.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Amazon has now dropped the price of WALL-E Criterion to $24.01, which is 52% off its $49.95 list price. That's less money than I usually pay on street date for a standard Criterion Blu-ray, much less one of their 4K discs. Even a Barnes & Noble sale wouldn't get it that cheap.

I don't have any idea how long that price will last, but if you've been on the fence about this edition, you might want to consider it now.
Thanks for the tip, Jake! Just pre-ordered it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has now suspended pre-orders. The product page says, "Temporarily out of stock. We are working hard to be back in stock as soon as possible."

I'm not sure if "out of stock" is the right phrase for something that hasn't been released yet, but I guess the $24.01 price point was very popular with lots of customers. For a while yesterday it was the #1 best seller on Amazon's movies and TV chart.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Amazon has now suspended pre-orders. The product page says, "Temporarily out of stock. We are working hard to be back in stock as soon as possible."

I'm not sure if "out of stock" is the right phrase for something that hasn't been released yet, but I guess the $24.01 price point was very popular with lots of customers. For a while yesterday it was the #1 best seller on Amazon's movies and TV chart.
Well I hope this makes a lot of money for Criterion. They do God's work and deserve it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has resumed pre-orders, but it is now more expensive than the $24.01 from last week.

The review from Blu-ray.com is up, which is the first review I've seen for this title. The new bonus features sound great, so I'm excited to get this edition. But this release does not include Presto, the short which accompanied WALL-E during its run in theaters.

I'm still going to get the Criterion edition and look forward to adding it to my collection. However, the loss of Presto is too significant to ignore. So this will be a double dip where I retain the old edition, rather than giving the old edition away. I would have been happy to pass along the original edition to a friend if I didn't lose the short. Oh well.

I don't understand why Criterion would not keep this. It looks like Disney allowed them to retain all of the bonus features from the original release except Presto. But Presto is important because it was part of the theatrical experience of the film. So I think it should be there and am disappointed that it is not.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"But other cinephiles are concerned about Criterion’s increased openness to commercial films and have expressed disappointment about how the arthouse haven now collaborates with companies like Netflix and Disney."

Criterion has collaborated with major studios and put out "non-arthouse" fare for freakin' DECADES.

That sentence feels like a throwback to 1999 and Criterion's collaboration with Michael Bay.

People can't be more upset about "WALL-E" on Criterion than they were "Armageddon", can they?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
1667745748181.png

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I LOVE the honesty of this quote by director Andrew Stanton regarding why Wall-E entered the Criterion Collection : “It was filmmaker-driven. If it’s anything, it was driven by my own filmmaker ego of wanting to be in the club.”

As noted above, Criterion still adds prestige and historically, Disney has always been after that almost as much as profit.

If this makes a bundle of money, my suspicion is Disney will be amenable to more collaborations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks