What's new

NAD announces new affordable separates!! (1 Viewer)

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Great to hear a company like NAD is finally entering the pre/pro market that Rotel and Outlaw have already entered. I for one welcome this entry and look forward to reading more about the T163, I'm in the market for a pre-pro, so this just adds to my short list.

BruceD

Screenwriter
They seemed to have had an awful lot of problems with their T762 receiver, hope that doesn't carry over.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I like how some folks can call $1499 "affordable." :b
For some of your fellow HT enthusiasts, that is two times more than we can afford to spend on an amp/preamp.

But for those of you with funds, more power to ya.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I was a HUGE fan of NAD. I still own and use the 7175 reciever, a tape deck (6340?) and a CD player (5325?). I seem to remember Peter Tribeman moving on to Atlantic Technology (and to Outlaw Audio also) and Onkyo taking over the NAD brand. Since then it has been all downhill. Gone is the fantastic Schotz tuner, great AM tuning, useful rumble (subsonic) filter, power envelope amps, extra quiet preamp sections, built in moving coil phono preamp sections, DynEQ and Dolby HX pro. All that is left is the name.

Nick V

Second Unit
Well, they're affordable as far as separates are concerned. It's all relative, but I think the only pre/pro that's cheaper than the new NAD unit is the Outlaw 950, and possibly the new Sherwood Newcastle unit.

Looks promising anyways and I hope the trend towards more affordable separates continues.

kevitra

Second Unit
$1500 for a prepro is in the cheap realm (along with Rotel and Outlaw). It will probably go for ~$1300 on the street.

I'd hope the bugs that were in the 762 (which were all fixed) are still 'fixed' in the new 763 and preamp. Otherwise they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there is any connection between NAD and Onkyo. NAD is still an independent US company. Now if they get the pre/pro subcontracted out in terms of manufacturing, that might be a different story... ;)

But the feature set is different enough from the new Integra pre/pro that I don't think they are based on the same unit either.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I know the Lenbrook Group owns NAD and PSB now, and I may be wrong, but my brother bought an NAD AV 716 and both the shipping carton and the loose papers inside made reference to Onkyo. This was 10 or 12 years ago. NAD was always a designer, maybe Onkyo did the OEM work. Maybe I am just wrong, but I do remember being quite surprised when I saw it. For what it is worth, after reading Kevin's post I looked on the internet and could find nothing on a partnership between the two. I do know that Outlaw reminds me very much of the old NAD classics and the Proton 900 series. Those 2, along with the Atlantic Technology speakers from the late 80's and early 90's is what piqued my interest with Outlaw.

I do wish Outlaw would pay the royalties or whatever it takes to get the Schotz tuner up and running again. Fantastic FM and AM performance.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
This new NAD gear looks quite tempting ... however, if I even think anymore of it at this point, my wife will have my NADs. :D :D

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
They seemed to have had an awful lot of problems with their T762 receiver, hope that doesn't carry over.
Bruce,

Can you give me the short story on the bugs?

I just bought a 762, and the only issue I have had thus far has been that it delays slightly when locking on to a digital source. Not an issue with movies, but a PITA with certain CDs. It tends to drop the first second of each track. Workaround is to just use an analog conenction for CDs, but that gives up HDCD deocding.

There is a zillion page thread over at AVS, but I just don't have the time....

FWIW, I replaced a Marantz SR-96 with the 762, and could not be happier. I hate to sound like one of those audiophile wheenies, but even my wife said she thought it sounded better than the Marantz, and that was just stereo music.

The DD/DTS decoder in the 762 sounded much better than the one built in to my Pioneer 45A universal player. Not sure why that is, since I have an ICBM for BM duties, so there should be no shortcoming there.

What I do know is that after calibrating, the couch shakes better than it did before!

The assasination attempt that opens SW EPII made my nads tingle (pardon the pun!!!!!)

BGL

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
My first home stereo back in 1984 was NAD. The Power Tracker 2200 Amp, 1100 Pre-amp, and I still have the tuner. It was a plain and simple system but it would sure jam.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Oops: not independent any more, but "North American" still covers it. :)

Bill: Schotz & Outlaw ?? (I have a Nakamichi ST-7 Schotz tuner that you would have to pry from my dead, cold hands... :D )

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Isn't NAD a Canadian owned British Company? And doesn't NAD stand for NEW ACOUSTIC DESIGNS? I think I read this info in "What Hi-Fi" a reputable British audio magazine.

Reg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks