What's new

n i connect 7.1 analog in a 6.1 analog input (1 Viewer)

dano582

Grip
Real Name
daniel barreto
Hello I have a Sony str-da2es receive which has 2 multi channel analog inputs a 5.1 and 6.1 if I get a bluray player with with 7.1 analog outputs can I connect it to the 6.1 input? Also my bluray is a Sony s300 if I hook it up via the 5.1 analog will the player be doing the decoding? I ask cause I hooked it up there other day with some cheap o av cables just to try it and I was getting sound but the multi channel decoding light on there receiver would not light up or the Dolby digial logo on there display of the receiver. Thanks for any help

dano582

Grip
Real Name
daniel barreto
By that do you mean the bluray player will have an option to output 6.1 thru the 7.1 output?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, after I read the manual for the S300(cause you owned it, assumed you were correct) and it has a 6channel, not 8channel. So you questions are moot.

dano582

Grip
Real Name
daniel barreto
Sorry for the mix up my s300 has a 5.1 analog but Im about to get a sacd player so I will need to use the 5.1 analog input on there receiver which only leaves me with the 6.1 input . I'm thinking of getting the Sony s2000 bluray which has analog output but I believe it has 7.1 analog output . That's why I was asking if I can connect the 7.1 out to the 6.1 of the receiver and connect the sacd to the 5.1 input

dano582

Grip
Real Name
daniel barreto
your right about that sorry its the s550 that has 8 channel out I been looking at 3 models the s500 s550 and then s2000 I know they are all old players but I want something heavy and with high end build quality! I don't care about streaming or anything like that I just want a player with analog out that will give me Dolby HD and dts master decoding . Any advice on which one I should get? Oh and that plays all blurays I tried to watch my clint eastwoods man with no name trilogy and it didn't work on my s300

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just looked at the S550 manual online(you know, manuals are available on the interwebs).

It appears the S550 is "rear surround" on or off. There is no option for a "single" rear speaker. I doubt the 500 has that option either. If you want, go download the manual.

Since Sony doesn't offer that option, I have no idea if any other BD players with analog that allow a single rear speaker.

But to answer your question, yes you can connect one of the two to your AVR...you'll miss one channel of information.

Your simplest...and less expensive, option is to replace that AVR with a newer one. SACD/DVD-A over HDMI is common now and is less expensive than what you are attempting to accomplish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks