What's new

Mystery Science Theater Three Thousand is now gone from the airwaves. :^( (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I thought the Movies forum was the more appropriate forum for this notice.

This morning was the last time--for now?--of the broadcast of MST3K. I have watched this show continously for seven years now, have laughed some of my biggest laughs while watching it, learned many little factoids from it and quite a bit about movie making in general from it too.

I will seriously miss it!

The following website has more information about this event:

Satellite News

Thankfully Rhino sells quite of few of their episodes on dvd now:

MST3K on VHS & dvd

LJ

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It ain't over until the fat, bloated Joe Don Baker sings.

MST3K didn't deserve to be reduced to early morning filler on the Sci-Fi Channel. I think the show will find a new following on DVD and perhaps on a channel that can actually give it some respect.

To be truthful, we ought to nag Turner Classic Movies about picking up the show (both the Comedy Central and Scifi runs) since they hold a lot of the TV packages to films featured on MST3K. Plus, they could air the original movies back-to-back with the featured MST3K episode.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Patrick: While I don't want to complain too much since Sci-Fi did keep it on the air so long, that morning time slot was vaguely insulting. Eight o'clock on a Saturday morning?? What normal person is awake that early? :D

And their choice of the last episode to air was strange: The Screaming Skull isn't exactly one of their best of the Sci-Fi-era shows. The last actual episode, and a very funny one too IMO, was Diabolik--I wonder why they didn't show this instead? Some contractual issue maybe?

Does anybody know why they took off that ending credit thanking "teachers everywhere" (or something like that) around 1996 or 1997? This is also when I noticed the crew using more crusty language & making more explicit jokes--any connection?

LJ

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I think a lot of the movie rights had expired, so Scifi was down to airing just a fraction of the episodes.

However, some of those "expired" episodes are on or coming to DVD from Rhino...

RobertW

Supporting Actor
sci-fi was only running the episodes that the misties made while on that network, maybe 24 episodes in total? and yeah, it seems for the last year or so, sci-fi was only airing about 10 different episodes, so i assume all the film rights had expired.

and i think someone mentioned earlier on this forum that the rights to diabolik had expired a few months ago.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
There are 48 episodes from the Sci-Fi Channel run, plus three 30 min. specials (One Oscar special and two summer blockbuster specials).

RobertW

Supporting Actor
48? my cable system never had sci-fi until maybe four years ago, but i doubt if i saw more than 20-24 different MST3K shows during that time. it always bugged me, cause after a while it was the same shows over and over: overdrawn at the memory bank, squirm, puma man, the merlin one, the one with leonardo davinci, hamlet, the joe don baker one, screaming skull, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks