What's new

My top 5 pet peeves of the moment (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'll top this. How about when there's a "No Turn On Red" sign and the a-hole behind you beeps their horn because they want you to turn...:rolleyes

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I LOATHE the concept of "No Turn on Red". There is NOTHING more frustrating than having to wait at an intersection, with no Pedestrians and no Cross-traffic, because some do-gooder Bureaucrat decided to put it there "For Your Protection". As I mentioned in an earlier peeve, if I see such an Intersection and there is a Bank or a Gas Station at such intersection I'll pull in, do a small transaction. (Deposit $1.00 in their ATM if it's a Bank, Buy ONE DOLLAR worth of Gasoline if it's a Gas Station, and then go on my way. (I make sure I get a Receipt, in case I have a run-in with an overzealous Police Officer, which hasn't happened, Yet!) I cannot tell you how many times I have done this and gotten out of there while the rest of the Traffic is left behind waiting for the @#&%!! Signal to change! (It seems that most Traffic Intersections that prohibit right turns on a red light also have the LONGEST red lights to wait for!) It doesn't matter if you are driving a Yamaha Motor Scooter or Winnebago RV, whenever you are waiting at a Signal you are getting ZERO MILES PER GALLON!

:frowning: Big Oil LOVES Bad Signals! :frowning:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I don't know where you live, William, but I've never had that problem with "No Turn on Red" signals. I've never had to wait too long, and it truly was dangerous to turn on red because you couldn't see if anyone was coming whether it was day or night.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Almost all of the "No Turn On Red" signs that I've come across, seem to be for good reason. Yes, when you're all alone, it may seem silly, but most of those signs are in areas where there is a lot of traffic or pedestrian traffic. You can't always count on drivers to make good judgement calls ;) so you gotta restrict them in certain areas.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I do see some "No Turn on Red" signs that say something like "7 a.m. to 7 p.m. only," so the government realizes that there's a lot less traffic outside of that time and is willing to give up a few traffic tickets for the greater good. Shocking, isn't it? :P

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I live in Central Florida. Bad Traffic Signal Capitol of the World.

I've been trying to form a Grass-Roots Movement to make a stand against Poorly-Timed Traffic Signals, without any success. :frowning: If I had it my way I would like to see laws passed that would:

1. Require All Pedestrian Signals to be Synchronised with the Traffic Lights. As I mentioned earlier we have Pedestrian Signals that give someone 30 seconds to cross the street, then revert to "Don't Walk", even the Light will remain Green for 3,3 or more minutes!:eek:

2. MINIMUM and MAXIMUM times for a Given Signal. You do not know how many times I've seen a Sensor at a Traffic intersection fail to "See" the Motercyclist or even a Compact Car, and, consequently not give that vehicle clearance to pass. This is especially troublesome it a Left-Hand Turn is regulated by an Arrow. How many accidents are caused because someone waiting to make a left hand turn, unable to make such a turn, pulls out into the Through Lanes only to be clobbered by a vehicle on that lane! (True, they would be at fault for not checking for oncoming traffic, however. Since the Sensor would not detect them, the light never gave them clearence!) Is 10 to 15 seconds too much to ask to insure a small vehicle is not held up by such a sensor? (BTW I wrote a Newspaper about this and a City Official Replied "We cannot make the sensors more sensitive as if they did a heavy Vehicle, such as a Semi-Truck, would "Trigger the sensor even though nobody was there!)

3. This one is my HOLY GRAIL of Traffic Proposals. As I mentioned before, All vehicles get ZERO Miles Per Gallon when idleing vaway at a Traffic Intersection. I realise there are cases where heavy traffic requires the use of extended length Traffic Signals. Nevertheless I cannot help but wonder how many gallons of Gasoline or Diesel Fuel are WASTED by Vehicles Idleing at these intersections waiting 5 minutes or more for the Signal to Change. If you are waiting for more than 90 seconds, it actually makes sense to TURN OFF YOUR ENGINE and wait for the Light to change! If someone has to wait a long time for a signal why don't you let them know how long the wait will be? I'm talking about putting up a display alongside the light that COUNTS DOWN the time remaining before a signal changes. A person comes to an intersection with a Red Light, sees that he or she has to wait 3 minutes, so they turn off their engine while they wait. The benifits would also include: Less Pollution/Emission of "Greenhouse Gasses" (Idleing Engines are the WORST POLLUTERS), Reduced Use of Fossil Fuels/Dependancy on Foreign Fuel Sources, and, possibly LESS ROAD RAGE. If someone waits at a light, they become anxious as the time goes by, the longer the wait, the less patience they have. On the other hand, leting them know how long they have to wait has a calming effect. Driver impatience is a MAJOR CAUSE of Traffic Accidents, so the Psychological angle may make all the difference here. I wonder what all of you think about this. My7 Motto is, SAVE FUEL, SAVE NERVES, SAVE LIVES!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But if you would practice that, then you wouldn't be so angry (to the point of loathing) "No Turn on Red" signs. ;)

Just use a little patience. I get SO angry when I get off the highway in my home town. I have to turn left at the end of the ramp and the right turn has a "No Turn on Red", but EVERYONE turns right on red. The traffic light is on a dangerous intersection and MANY times I've seen people almost get side swiped because they think a car isn't coming and they turn right on red (and then a car comes barreling around the corner). The sign is there for a damn good reason :angry: - If these people would be a little more patient, then maybe they wouldn't need to break the law by disobeying the sign.

Everytime I see someone do that, I BLAST my horn, hoping to scare them. All I keep thinking about is my parents (who use that road everyday) having to slam on the breaks, or even worse, hitting the asshole who can't use a little control in his/her life to wait a few minutes, but decides they are above the law and road signs don't apply to them. :rolleyes:They'd rather risk causing a major accident due to their disagreement of the sign, than to exercise a little patience.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I can see a lot of negatives here. What about cars that would stall after being shut off? It happens a lot and I guarantee you there'd be even MORE road-rage due to people getting pissed because they're stuck behind a stalled car :D

I really don't see how a countdown is all that effective. If you can't be calm enough at a red light, having a count down will only make you more stressed. I would say that this countdown idea would only make things worse.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'm not saying I've found perfection, but theoretically it would solve a lot of problems. That's why I'm advocating it. You are always going to run into "Idiot Drivers" (And we all have made "Mistakes" from time to time!)
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

I've memorised most of the Intersections in my Area and whenever I'm forced to stop for what I KNOW will be a long light I will shut off my engine. On one occaision I shut off my engine and an adjacent passenger, observing what I had done said to me "This is a long light isn't it?" I said it was (It lasted 4 1/2 Minutes) and as we got to the intersection it turned red again! (The cross traffic cleared after 90 seconds, I timed it, so this light was on WAY too long! :frowning:) Another thing I will do is do what I call "The Omega Turn". This happens whenever I'm in the Right-Hand Lane and I approach the intersection just as the light turns red (There is NO "No Turn on Red" Sign, of course). Many times the Left turn arrow turns green before the cross traffic light turns green, so I use this to my advantage. I'll execute a right hand turn, go down the road about 100 yards, go into the left hand turn lane and as soon as the traffic clears I'll do a U-Turn and double back. Approaching the intersection I'll do another right-turn and continue on my way, leaving everyone else behind! :D

:angry: Big Oil LOVES Bad Traffic Signals! :angry:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's clever and all, but it's illegal. Sorry to get so vocal on this, but I have to suffer through TONS of traffic jams every day because there is always an accident on the highways in my state. Just like this morning, I had to go WAY out of my way, extending my commute IMMESELY because some a-hole wasn't paying attention and got into a car accident, closing down the highway. Just think about all of those cars, just sitting there chewing up gallons and gallons of oil EVERY day because of these accidents. If you want to talk about unnecessary fuel consumption, talk to the idiots causing all the accidents because they are too impatient to follow the rules. When you don't follow the rules, you risk causing an accident that will surely destroy any sort of "Fuel Savings" you propose.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I also could see people fixated on the counter and instantly blasting into the intersection the millisecond the counter hits zero -- completely oblivious as to whether crossing traffic has stopped. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

I also hate it when I see people waiting to get on an elevator and they are standing right up against the closed doors waiting for it to open. Hello! It's common courtesy to leave some room for those who are on the elevator to exit.

Jim_F

Screenwriter

Doh! That gave me an embarassing moment flashback. One day I was in a bit of a hurry, and I thought I was in a right turn only lane. The light was red, but there was no "No turn on red" sign. After waiting a few beats, I gave a quick tap on the horn for the driver in front of me to get on with it (I "never" do this, right on red allowed or not) He didn't budge. I just sat there doing a slow burn until the light changed. I then turned about 5 shades of red with embarassment when he proceeded straight ahead.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
So that's why he didn't use his turn signal!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In Boston, I've also noticed several intersections where the light changes to green before the white stick figure turns into the red hand on the crosswalk. Fortunately, Boston drivers expect jaywalking and compensate, but that seems like a recipe for disaster.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
or how about the people that just STAND there after getting off at the top of an escalator!!! :angry: I ran into this (LITTERALLY) at the malls this holiday season. These idiots are so confused as to what to get and where they are, that they lose all concept of rational thought.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

I think that's why Yield signs are basically non-existent these days. Used properly, Yield signs would save significant time and money over Stop signs. (Though not in all cases; there are intersections where a Stop sign is a better choice.)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
1. Complete strangers who tell me to "smile". You don't know me, you don't know what's going on -- mind your own business.

2. Male salesclerks who are condescending toward a female purchasing A/V equipment -- in many cases, I know more so don't tell me stupid things. And the worst offense is addressing the male should I be with one -- excuse me, I might be the one shopping.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Another thing that pisses me off is when I'm driving on the Interstate, in the right hand lane with NO OTHER CAR within 100 yards of me (infront and behind) and a car entering the freeway expects me to move over to let him on. I'm the only freakin' car within sight! I'm going a constant speed. Are you that terrible of a driver that you can't time it so you don't run right into me and force me in to the left lane? I've got no problem moving over to give someone space on a crowded freeway, but when there is literally NO OTHER TRAFFIC, it's not that difficult!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I hate to say this Mr. Hastings but unless there is a sign saying "No U Turn" My "Omega Turns" (So named because of their resembalance to the Greek Letter) are PERFECTLY LEGAL. I Stop, check for Cross-Traffic, Execute a Right Hand Turn. Drive a Short Distance. Change over into the Left-Hand Turn Lane. Stop, Check for oncoming Traffic. Execute the U-Turn, Drive back to the Intersection, Make a Right-Hand Turn (This time under a Green Light) and go about my way. I've done this IN FULL VIEW OF THE POLICE and they've never pulled me over! ( And the Daytona Beach area has two of the TOUGHEST Law-Enforcement Towns in the Nation (Daytona Beach Shores and Port Orange) :) There is one intersection in Port Orange where I can Do a Right Hand Turn (On a Red Light) Drive A HALF MILE down the road to a Crossover (It's a Divided Highway) Do a U-Turn, Return to the Intersection and make the second right Turn UNDER A GREEN LIGHT! The Traffic Signal is set for too long of a time! BTW the Speed Limit on that road is 50, but I do this in my Motor Skooter, which goes 35 miles per hour tops!

What really "Ticks" me off that this is a School Route, yet the Pedestrian Signals ARE NOT SYNCHRONISED with the Traffic Signals. Children (And Adults) cross the road while the light is green (But the Ped Signal is "Don"t Walk") If you push the Pedestrian Button you'll have to wait up to 5 Minutes before the Signal Changes! As a result of this many kids ignore the Ped Signal and cross the road anyways. I feel it's only a matter of time before, as I mentioned earlier, some kid will cross the road, halfway across the signal will change. A driver, traveling on the other road, will see the light turn green, not bother to put on the brakes, then POW!

Maybe then they'll Synchronise the Signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks