1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

my PC desktop will look stretched/distorted on new plasma?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by chelentano, Feb 13, 2005.

1. chelentano

chelentano Agent

I have ViewSonic m2000 HTPC wich comes with NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440-8X video card. According to my research the card does not have an option for common plasma resolution of 1366 x 768. Some of the available resolutions are: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 1920x1400, 2048x1536

I am planning to get new 50" plasma TV and hook it up to HTPC, but plasma TV comes with 1366 x 768 resolution not supported by my PC video card.

Does it mean my PC desktop will look stretched/distorted on my new plasma? What can I do about it?

2. Will_B

Will_B Producer

There's a software product called Powerstrip which allows you to create custom resolutions. Though I don't know whether those custom resolutions would work for the XP Media Center display, it would at least work for the computer side of things (web browsing, applications, etc).

I don't know the details about Powerstrip. Someone will chime in.

3. Chris Bozeman

Chris Bozeman Auditioning

If you have an Nvidia-based card in your system, then all you're going to have to do is download the latest ForceWare drivers from Nvidia's website. The drivers along with Windows XP MCE are going to auto-detect your display device and show you what resolutions are available for usage (1366 x 768 being one of them). At that point all you'll need do is go to Start > Control Panel > Display > Settings > Screen Resolution and adjust as necessary.

I can't seem to post URLs since I've not posted more than 15 times here... whatever... what you're looking for is at Nvidia's website...

4. chelentano

chelentano Agent

thank you. useful info.