What's new

My Onkyo TX-SR805 Died. What to Replace it with? (1 Viewer)

sbradfor

Auditioning
Real Name
Shannon Bradford
My 3 1/2 year old Onkyo TX-SR805 died recently. When I looked into fixing it, I was told it would probably cost $400 - $500 for the three issues that had developed. I've decided that it would be better to buy a new receiver instead. What I would like to know is, what current models are out there that would be similar to this unit. I don't care if it is Onkyo brand or not, I just want something that will work reliably. I'm willing to consider Onkyo again or some other brand. My equipment that I have hooked up to it is: Panasonic TH-58PZ700U 58" 1080P plasma TV via HDMI Oppo DVD player via HDMI Panasonic Blu Ray player via HDMI PS3 via HDMI Onkyo CD changer via optical (I think) Speakers: (All are from AV123) 2 RS760 Tower Speakers 1 RSC 200 Center Speaker 2 RSS 300 Surround Speakers MFW-15 Sub Woofer What would people recommend? I'm looking to get something similar to what I had in performance/features. Are there any links I should read to educate myself on what is available? I haven't spent much time researching stuff since upgrading all of this about 3 1/2 years ago. Any help is very much appreciated.

sbradfor

Auditioning
Real Name
Shannon Bradford
Well after spending the day researching things, here is where I am at. I can get the Onkyo TX-NR809 for $909 including a 5 year extended warranty from B&H. It seems to have more features than just about anything else at this price point. I did see two other deals that look interesting and I'd like some input on them. 1) I can get the YAMAHA RX-A2000 from an ebay dealer with 100% ratings for $980. This does not include any extended warranty and it is not from an authorized seller. I don't know if that is a big deal if I need support from Yamaha or not. Still it is a good product at a good price. 2) I saved the best for last. I can get the Yamaha RX-V1900BL from an unknown dealer online for $665 and it is labeled as B Stock (whatever that means -I think it means open boxed or something like that). This doesn't have a warranty either and I'm not sure if it would be honored by Yamaha. Thoughts? What would you do in my shoes? Thanks again to all the help and advice people have shared.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Onkyo. You are already familiar with the menus and I'm an Audyssey fan. Plus B&H is a good site and an authorized dealer. The other 2.....

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Buying any receiver from an un-authorized dealer will probably void the factory warranty. A SquareTrade warranty might offer some level of protection. B-Stock is either a customer return, open box or display model or one which has been serviced. These can often be a great buy but as always, make sure they are from an authorized dealer. First of all, make sure you actually need all those features you're paying for. Maybe the 709 or 808 would be just as good for you. The Denon 2311/2312 or 3311/3312 or the 21xx series would also be a nice choice if you can find them for near the same price. The Pioneer Elite SC-25/35 is another option. If you have a BestBuy with a Magnolia HiFi inside ask to speak with the Dept. manager. I've heard they sometimes offer outrageous deals when you mention Frys or Amazon :D . The 809 would be a decent choice but Onkyo watered down the amp section a bit after the 805, which might be the all-time over-achiever in receivers. Stll, the 809 should be more than you need. Also consider the Marantz 6005. Last years model but $599 shipped with a three year warranty from Marantz. It would be my pick. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR6005A/MARANTZ-SR6005-110w-X-7ch-3-D-Home-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html Or a new 5005 for $449 shipped http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5005A/MARANTZ-SR5005-100w-X-7ch-3-D-Home-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html

Autoengineer

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Graham
i'm looking for something around the same price range as you and I've been prcing the Denon's. I've been looking at the 2810.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks