What's new

My New Sony KP-43HT20.... Broken! (1 Viewer)

Dre Witt

Grip
The Sony tech just left my house... I was having a problem with RGB ghosting/separation in the far right inch of my TV screen. He went into the service menu and pulled up the convergence screen and was equally as shocked as I was!

All the red vertical lines on the right 1&1/2 boxes were skewing up at 45 degree angles in the top the screen and down in the bottom half. It was doing the same with blue also, only the reverse, pointing down about 20 degrees in the top half and up in the bottom half! The only thing working right was Green! It got worst the closer you got to the corners.

He tried to straighten the lines but couldn't work it out. He said he could make it look better but I had a "Pro Eye" and that I wouldn't be happy. Just return it.

I just got off the line and they're shipping a new one to me in the morning. (Why'd I buy on the Internet!)

Has anyone seen this problem before on any of the Sonys! I'm afraid the second one will show up and be the same!

The picture is awesome otherwise... If it wasn't for the that right hand side of the screen!

Dre

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the 43HT20 since September, and the picture is still fantastic. I have only adjusted using Avia, not gone into the service menu, and not had it ISF'd, but it still looks and works great. You might have just gotten a lemon--don't worry, the new one should hopefully be fine.

Dre Witt

Grip
Thanks Jeffrey, I went down to my local Best Buy last night and their floor model doesn't have the problem either... I hope my replacement is not in the same production run.

Does anyone know what causes such a corruption like that at the edges?

Dre

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Just a guess, but the mirror could've been knocked out of whack during shipping and/or delivery. Often when the color guns have identical but opposite problems -- like one skewing up and one skewing down -- it's a physical problem rather than an electronic one. Like I said, it's just a guess, but make sure they carry that guy in carefully!

Dre Witt

Grip
See that's what I thought Jim. I kept asking the repair guy to check out the interior to see if something was jarred out of whack but he didn't want too... Which kind of irked me since I was sitting around all day waiting for him.

Dre Witt

Grip
For anyone who's interested, I took a look at about 10 different display sets today on the way home from work at various retailers. Half of the sets had the exact same problem I have, the others didn't. We're talking about the 43ht20, 53hs30, and the 61hs30. From what I understand they are all built on the same chassis. What I saw today makes me think there is some serious quality control issues with these sets. Maybe that's why he wouldn't take a look at it, because he knew there was nothing he could do with it. I'm praying I don't get another lemon. I've been a big fan of Sony direct view sets. I'm a little disappointed here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks