What's new

My new digital camera! (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Remember, don't get too hung up on megapixel stats! The F828's sensor, while having a hefty resolution, will likely be very noisy at ISO 400. There is a direct relation between sensor size, resolution, and CCD/CMOS noise. Low-light conditions will be a very hefty challenge for the typical point-and-shoot digicam. Meaning you will have to rely on the flash. And the flash on point-and-shoots are typically too close to the lens, making red-eye a constant problem.

If your point-and-shoot digicam allows you to attach an external flash, by all means do so! Red-eye will be greatly reduced, and if you get a flash that can swivel up, eliminated completely. Bouncing the light from the flash off a ceiling or wall (or using an index card attached to it by an elastic) will give you pleasing flash pictures. Well worth the money!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but the F828 is hardly a point-and-shoot.

We need comparitive example photos really rather than just relying on blurb.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
.... some of the consumer oriented cameras are SLR, but they don't have the interchangable lenses, external accessories, etc.
Before I bought the Nikon Coolpix, I had Pentax SLR's for years, including all sorts of lenses eventually and some accessories. I'm very glad Pentax announced a new SLR that will reportedly be KA-compatible (the *ist D). I'm not buying it yet, because 6Mpix won't be an upgrade enough to my CP4500 and, also, I want to see the reviews first anyway, but the development is very interesting.

Of course the quality of a digital camera picture still isn't close enough to film yet to completely switch over. Especially the sensitivity and the gamma-range.

Cees

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the F828 looks like a nice cam! I heard the auto-focus speed is very good. Still, I don't really consider megapixel count that important nowadays anyways, unless you plan to make 24"x36" prints. A high-quality lens is more important to my eyes given the current crop of digicams out there.

As for the Canon digital SLR's, like the Digital Rebel, the sensitivity is extremely good...I mean, you can take photos at ISO 1600 and they will look as good or better than ISO 1600 film (and after post-processing with NeatImage, will surpass film in quality). Hopefully the rest of the industry will follow with low-noise sensors.

That new Pentax looks great too. Unfortunately, only the Canon Digital Rebel is at an "affordable" price now. But hey, competition is great! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks