What's new

My movie-led Covid recovery Take Two (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
When Robyn and I contracted Covid towards the end of last month, I initially planned a season of films to sustain and revive us. Very ambitious. Too ambitious.

As many fellow-sufferers would have expected, we found it impossible to summon the mental energy to watch anything relatively worthwhile. I did put on an episode of the Mickey Mouse Club and renewed my acquaintance with the delectable Annette Funicello, but that was about it.

Fortunately, our taste buds weren’t hit. And by chance, my brand-new espresso coffee machine arrived a week before Covid, and I had done a three-pound roast of Arabica beans the day before were were hit.

We were saved from insanity by the sheer elegant performance and beautiful results from our wonderful machine. It’s a La Pavoni Italian heat-exchanger, made in Milan, which you can see on the right of this image, standing next door to another very famous Pavoni, the Pavoni Pro lever machine, which I’ve had for about 30 years.

Next step? Back to the movies, with a good piccolo latte … or a straight espresso with a shot of grappa. My copy of the 4k Singing in the Rain arrived yesterday … this will be its week.

Attachments

• la pavoni two machines.jpg
    la pavoni two machines.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 50

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
When Robyn and I contracted Covid towards the end of last month, I initially planned a season of films to sustain and revive us. Very ambitious. Too ambitious.

As many fellow-sufferers would have expected, we found it impossible to summon the mental energy to watch anything relatively worthwhile. I did put on an episode of the Mickey Mouse Club and renewed my acquaintance with the delectable Annette Funicello, but that was about it.

Fortunately, our taste buds weren’t hit. And by chance, my brand-new espresso coffee machine arrived a week before Covid, and I had done a three-pound roast of Arabica beans the day before were were hit.

We were saved from insanity by the sheer elegant performance and beautiful results from our wonderful machine. It’s a La Pavoni Italian heat-exchanger, made in Milan, which you can see on the right of this image, standing next door to another very famous Pavoni, the Pavoni Pro lever machine, which I’ve had for about 30 years.

Next step? Back to the movies, with a good piccolo latte … or a straight espresso with a shot of grappa. My copy of the 4k Singing in the Rain arrived yesterday … this will be its week.
Speedy recovery to both of you Anthony.

We are currently in Australia on our first break from the Land of the Giant Kiwi fruit in literally 30 months. I’m sorry to say after a trouble free first ten days in Sydney, we arrived Melbourne for a good bash on May 1. Ken cam down with it on Monday 2nd, and I came down (from a different contact place) five days later. FWIW he us getting better in a hurry. I am still honking and certain my voice is going to become Donald Duck.

your machine is a thing of operatic beauty. I wish we could have come up to see you and share a macchiato.

Anyway get well.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Wishing you and Robyn well, Anthony. Now you can once more muster the strength to crank up the Victrola and play some 78s while sipping magnificently brewed coffee. Or you can sing in the rain. Just don't shoot Liberty Valance. You've been warned by @Robert Harris .

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I either haven't gotten it or ended up asymptomatic, but I was laid for for a handful of days following surgery and really dug into my pile at the time. It's a good way to pass the time. Get well soon.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks all ... and by the way, Jose, mine is not a Victrola, but the superior Columbia from 1928; much better bass definition! Plays electric recordings equally as well as acoustic .. just as long as you use a new needle for every side~
And sorry to hear, David, of your Covid misadventure at exactly the wrong time.
It would have been great to see you and totter around our garden, while sipping a macchiato or, if early enough, a piccolo latte ... dodging the occasional kangaroo.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Thanks all ... and by the way, Jose, mine is not a Victrola, but the superior Columbia from 1928; much better bass definition! Plays electric recordings equally as well as acoustic .. just as long as you use a new needle for every side~
It would have been great to see you and totter around our garden, while sipping a macchiato or, if early enough, a piccolo latte ... dodging the occasional kangaroo.
Oh, envy consumes me. I want the Columbia machine!

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
We were seriously working in a couple of days out of town, one to visit an old friend’s daughter who is now a director of the Bendigo gallery. Trains are easy ( it was a 19 tram that was the source of my downfall.) I can Kangaroo whisper, after living in the Southern Highlands. Have you been strong enough to view the Singin’ UHD yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks