What's new

my first cellphone, Help! (yet another cellphone post) (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, as you've probably guessed this will be another one of those posts pertaining to cell phones.I mainly am looking for advice as to what I should do in my situation so here it goes.

I just started college and would really like to get a cell phone for the security and independence which I've been experiencing since borrowing a family member's phone to go to school with. I don't plan on talking much and had been planning to just try and get one of those prepaid cell phones which look good on paper but not once you actually see it in practice.Now I've discarded my plans to go for a prepaid and it appears as though my only other option is to get a plan of some sort through one of the major companies.

I've searched every company here in town and have come back with two choices, either US Cellular or Tmobile. If I were to go with Tmobile I'd get 300 wherever minutes with unlimited weekends but I would have to pay an activation fee as well as an application fee (since I have no credit) on top of the price I'd have to pay for the phone, I'd also be locked into a one year contract. The plan itself would be $29.99 before tax.

If I went with US Cellular I would be adding an additional line to my mom's account for $20 and would pay that + the $7 in tax + $5 for the increased price for more minutes that we'd be getting making the whole thing come to $32 a month. At US Cellular though I'd have none of the activation fees or application fees that I'd have at Tmobile, I would just have to pay for my phone. I'd also not be locked into a contract of any sort. I would also get slightly more minutes by doing it this way because I'd get 25 more minutes none of which I believe I'll ever use all up. The answer is clear to me, go with US cell but I was wondering what fellow HTF members thought. Am I on the right track? thanks.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

How much is this? Could you save money by getting the phone under your parents' name?

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

You should check out what kind of rebates they are giving for T-Mobile. I got $100 when I signed up for my service. Also, have your mom put the phone in her name so you don't have to pay the application fee. I can't remember how much the activation fee was but it wasn't that much. The rebate pretty much paid for that and some of the phone. I definitely would shop around though. I've had AT&T before and would recommend it to anyone. They are the best in my opinion. I've never had any problems with them. They are slightly more expensive for what you get minutewise but the quality is much better. In your case though, I'd go with T-mobile. Just make sure you don't go over your minutes.

A one-year contract is really no big deal unless you plan on switching services. I assume you plan on keeping it for awhile anyways.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
Keith if you are going to school in Florida AT&T may be an option for you $29.99/month for 250 anytime minutes + Unl N&W and nationwide long distance inc. that would be on a 1 year contract and a $36 activation fee.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Thanks for the helpful posts so far ya'll.I've considered AT&T like many of you all have said but my Family is big sticklers against AT&T in general because of some horrible things that we've heard they've done to their long distance customers, so the way I see it AT&T is not an option.

I'm not sure how I feel about signing up under a 1 year contract because at this point I don't even know if I can afford it. Therefore I'd like to try and go month to month so in case I can't afford it I can drop it. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Devin U

Second Unit
What kind of area are you going to be using the phone mostly in? I ask because T-Mobile's GSM network is usualy great in urban areas, but with the exception of major interstates, you may not get much. I like GSM myself, but with USCell's CDMA, depending on your phone, you can roam on the old AMPS analog networks if you need to. T-mo doesnt offer or support analog roaming. I know AT&T's go phone has all ready been mentioned. Personally, If you live within the coverage area, that would be your best bet. Im guessing you all ready know how the USCell works around campus. Try either borrowing someone's T-mo phone, or maybe have your mom activate T-mo to use for a few days. You have 14 days to cancle the contract if you dont like it. I wouldnt do it under your name, because you wont get your activation or your "application" fee back. If all else fails, go to somewhere like Circut City or Best Buy and ask about a T-mo prepaid it. They sould be able to take it back within the 30 days, even if it is activated, but check with them first. If you like the service, take the phone back and buy a post paid plan. Also, a great place to look is howardforums.com. It can be a little technical, but you can find almost anything you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks