What's new

My epic 'HALLOWEEN' appreciation thread. And how it messed me up as a kid. :) (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Matt,
IMO, the superb anamorphic transfer of either of these dvd's is worth the purchase. It's all about the black level in this film, and the dvd sports rock solid blacks, as well as gorgeous blues.

According to the back cover of the LE dvd, the new transfer was created from a new 35mm interpositive made from the original camera negative, and approved by the films cinematographer Dean Cundey.

I would go for it if it were me to be honest. Get the LE if you can track one down, it's got some pretty great extras, plus the TV cut of the film presented in 2.35:1 and uncut with the new TV scenes added in.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
What are the extras? If it's just the transfer, it's no big deal for the time being...I really love the LD transfer. But I'll be getting a widescreen TV in November, so something anamorphic will be more important then.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The extras are...

Original theatrical trailers
Television spots
Radio spots
Talent bios
Still and poster gallery
Behind the scenes still gallery
An all new documentary created for this dvd called 'Halloween Unmasked 2000'

Something else to think about too is that even though you are using a 4x3 set now, the dvd still offers a much cleaner and clearer image than the LD does, so it has benefits that you can utilize now until you get your new 16x9. It's also presented in DD 5.1, the original Mono track, and Dolby Surround 2.0.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I know that the DVD will be a better transfer regardless, but I'm not going to upgrade a transfer that I already consider great. That being said...my opinion of the LD transfer will probably change when I view it on a new TV.

How long is the documentary...? The Criterion LD appears to have most (if not all) of the other extras as well as a fantastic commentary.

rhett

Supporting Actor
Just to chime in here about the DVDs:

The Halloween: LE is an excellent disc, and the extended 12 minutes of the television version in widescreen make it worth the purchase alone. The documentary is about 25 minutes, and is very entertaining. Halloween buffs won't get a whole lot of new information out of it, but hearing everyone reminisce about the film is extremely entertaining (much like this great thread).

Both the TV Version and the Halloween Special Edition can now be bought seperately, so if you are looking to acquire both I recommend going that route rather than buying the overpriced LE on eBay.

BUT, Anchor Bay has announced a new 25TH ANNIVERSARY DVD to come out next year, and I recommend holding off buying any Halloween DVDs until the specs are listed for this one. I am predicting some new audio tracks (DTS ES, DD EX, etc.) as well as a new commentary (this is a tough call, seeing as JC has stated he will never do a commentary twice, and that Criterion won't lease out their commentaries). There will probably be more extras as well, but who knows.

The announcement of the new DVD is a mixed blessing. While I love Halloween (more on that later) and wish to get as much supplemental enjoyment about it as possible, I can't help but feel that Anchor Bay is just trying to milk us fans.

rhett

Supporting Actor
This is a great thread John, I am glad to see that there are many people out there, like myself, that recognize this film as one of the best of all time. This is one of the few films (John Carpenter's The Thing as well) that I can watch repeatedly without ever tiring from it.
As mentioned in previous posts, the simplicity in this film is a vitrue. So many of the slasher films to follow got the forumla all wrong. The less known about the killer the better. Movies like Halloween and Black Christmas are so effective because the killer's motives and identity remains a mystery. By leaving these points unexplained, the viewer is able to manifest their fears and haunting subconscious into the killer's shape. That creep you saw walking home from work, that killer you heard about on TV, or whatever you fear becomes the identity of the murderers in these two fine films. They serve as horror films that allow us to become very much a part of, venting our subconscious fixations into the characters.
The final shots of the various locations that Michael has dwelled helps emphasize the notion that Michael can not only be anyone, but that he can lexist within all facets of the community.
The symbolism of linking Michael to evil in its purist form is also inspired. Similarly, when I look back on my thoughts of Halloween I always consider it the horror film in its purest form.
The thing that still continues to amaze me about Halloween to this day is the photography and mise-en-scene. Carpenter has ever scene expertly composed, and watching Michael ever-so-subtly emerging from the background is truly frightening. You are never safe in watching this movie, because every portion of the expansive 2.35:1 frame is vulnerable to attack, and that makes it all the more effective. Kudos must be given to the highly influential use of the first person perspective in the opening shot. The lengthy panaflex (I think?) take ranks right up there with Orson Welle's Touch of Evil as the best opening take in a film. It establishes Michael as a voyeur, someone always watching, and although often imitated, no films come close in emulating the effectiveness of the first person perspective used in the film.
Everything in this film reeks of greatness and I could go on talking about it forever. Halloween has remained, to me, a masterpiece that is every bit effective today as it was when I first saw it. I know when all the scares are coming, and still, everytime I watch it I can't help but smirk in admiration for the sheer craft Carpenter exhibits for frightening his audience. I think that is the best compliment I can give this film.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
I may be on vacation right now, but I'm lucky enough to be on this computer at the moment in an electronics store and felt compelled to gush about HALLOWEEN myself a little. It is definitly one of my favourite horror films, NOT slasher films, because, as someone already pointed out, HALLOWEEN tends to be typecast into this category. Much to many fans' dismay I'm sure. One of the main reasons I bought a laserdisc player In December last year was so I could own my own copy of the CLV criteron edition for the excellant commentary track as well as the Siskel & Ebert praise they gave it way back when. The current Anchor Bay THX transfer never ceases to amaze me and I look forward to seeing the 25th Anniversary edition the "Bay" releases next year (as well as the special edition DAWN OF THE DEAD). By the way Rhett, that opening first-person perspective shot was directly influenced by Carpenter's appreciation for Orson's classic film. He stated so in the featurette on the current theatrical THX dvd release. Great thread John!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :D
Happy Birthday to me!! I'm sorry, I just couldn't help it.
:b :b

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That's a good idea about waiting for the specs on the next release...I'll just do that. I don't really care for the extra TV shots...so for the time being I don't need the LE.

Thx for the help guys.

rhett

Supporting Actor
Can anyone confirm when this gem was released to theaters? I was reading a John Carpenter biography, and it said that the movie did so well in extremely limited release in 1978 that they company pulled it and worked on a bigger advertising campaign to release it in 1979. That was news to me, as I had always thought it was released only in 1978. The TV version came out in 1980 though, so a 1979 wide release is starting to make sense.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
From Link Removed
They don't have anything about a re-release, but IMDB has been wrong in the past, and since I wasn't born until 1981, I can't confirm or deny any thing.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Welp, I did two things this past week, I bought another Michael Myers mask, and I finally picked up Black Christmas. I'm going to resist watching it until Halloween night though if I can. :D
Sadly, I was unable to order that replica mask as I planned to. :frowning: I went to the site where I saw it and it was gone off the list as being available. :frowning::frowning: I really wanted that one too. But the one I bought is great though, it's from Don Post studios the same studio that provided Michael's mask for Halloween II.
My old one is from Don Post too, but the new one is completely redesigned. It's stark white in color, (my old one is more yellowish probably from age though) is made of thinner, lighter latex and is a bit smaller than my old one which is good because I usually have to pad the old one to fit. It looks as if it's a cross between his original mask, and the one he wore in Halloween 4.
I can't wait for Halloween night! :)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to find I'm not alone in my great appreciation for this film. After purchasing the LE release, imagine my horror when my old DVD player (Tosh 3107) wouldn't play it :angry:
I first saw Halloween at a friends house in the early '80s (I was 12 or 13.) His dad had the first VCR I ever saw. Looking back, I'm pretty sure all of his movies were bootlegs, because you didn't see movies for sale at your local store! Anyway, my buddy would always have a bunch of us over for the night on his birthday which was in early October. The night we watched Halloween nobody slept a wink! It scared the shit out of all of us.
Halloween is one of the few movies that I wouldn't change a bit. Everything, from the Shatner mask to the score is perfect. I love how the Shape appears/disappears so quickly. Whether its behind Laurie and friends on the sidewalk or between the sheets drying in the wind, it really helps to build up the tension leading to that night.
Looking back, the only "horror" movies that left an impression on me are The Exorcist, Halloween and The Fog. I know, The Fog seems kind of weak compared with the other two, but I love how Carpenter used a similar style in building tension even during the daytime scenes.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I first saw Halloween at a friends house in the early '80s
I feel for you guys who didn't have the chance to see it for the first time in a theater. I saw it the first week it came out and immediately went back to see it again, something I hardly ever do. I was in my first year of college at the time and after that I told everybody I knew, "You gotta go see this movie!!" :)
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks