What's new

My DVR Crashed!! (1 Viewer)

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
I have the Hughes DVR through Direct TV and last night it froze. I reset it a couple of times but it won't completely power up. Spoke with Direct tTV and they told me it's toast as the hard drive crashed. I have a bunch of shows on it including all the Cop Rock episodes and Night Court that I don't want to lose. Any one know a way of getting the progarms off a crashed unit?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
If you are comfortable doing such things particularly if it's out of warranty -- open it up and check the connections first to make sure something hasn't come loose.

You can download the latest version MFSTools, burn a CD, remove the hard drive from your TIVO, and connect it to your computer to see if it will post/load using the CDr.

TIVO Upgrade.

If the disc is functioning at all, you could copy it to a brandnew drive and load it back into your TIVO or upgrade the Hard Disc Capacity. If it still won't load then you may have another problem inside the TIVO itself, a corrupted hard drive, or doorstop.

weaknees.com sells plug and play new drives if the old drive really is toast.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A program called Spinrite can help a drive. It won't cure it but it may allow you to follow David's suggestions on copying all of your data to a new drive. Search over at Tivo Community for more information on how to use this program.

-Robert

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
Thanks for the advice. I will do some research on all the suggetions and hopefully recover some of my programming

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks