My DVR Crashed!!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Carl Gaff, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Carl Gaff

Carl Gaff Second Unit

I have the Hughes DVR through Direct TV and last night it froze. I reset it a couple of times but it won't completely power up. Spoke with Direct tTV and they told me it's toast as the hard drive crashed. I have a bunch of shows on it including all the Cop Rock episodes and Night Court that I don't want to lose. Any one know a way of getting the progarms off a crashed unit?

2. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

If you are comfortable doing such things particularly if it's out of warranty -- open it up and check the connections first to make sure something hasn't come loose.

You can download the latest version MFSTools, burn a CD, remove the hard drive from your TIVO, and connect it to your computer to see if it will post/load using the CDr.

TIVO Upgrade.

If the disc is functioning at all, you could copy it to a brandnew drive and load it back into your TIVO or upgrade the Hard Disc Capacity. If it still won't load then you may have another problem inside the TIVO itself, a corrupted hard drive, or doorstop.

weaknees.com sells plug and play new drives if the old drive really is toast.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    A program called Spinrite can help a drive. It won't cure it but it may allow you to follow David's suggestions on copying all of your data to a new drive. Search over at Tivo Community for more information on how to use this program.

-Robert

4. Carl Gaff

Carl Gaff Second Unit

Thanks for the advice. I will do some research on all the suggetions and hopefully recover some of my programming