What's new

My copy of The Ring has disc rot! Aaaghh!! (1 Viewer)

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Well, what I once thought was just a rumor, is now a reality. After having not been watched for quite a few months, I dig out my copy of The Ring and after a few minutes, it starts to pixelize like crazy. I look at the underside and lo and behold, disc rot! I never thought I'd see the day, but I've never seen anything like it. Do you think Dreamworks will replace my disc? Does anybody have any contact information? Thanks...

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
I could do with the same contact info, as my Dreamworks "GalaxyQuest" dts has turned tits-up as well.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
no such thing as dvd disc rot. it's not rotting. at the worst...it's delamination. improper bonding of the dual-layered disc. this is usually the fault of pathetic quality control at the pressing plants. in the past...WAMO and CREST NATIONAL had documented problems, but it can happen anywhere if the control experts have their head up an ass...which is usually the case. it is a problem....however, denial is what you will come across more than any real help.

have you tried other players? dvd-rom? many times it is the player....even if you have had no problem in the past. try other players first....then see. cloudy stains and other surface blemishes does not always indicate delamination either.

delamination is real. it's just not wide-spread....yet. you'd think concerned consumers would be able to get assistance on this issue. corporate wants you to think there is no problem. an industry leader....like the owner of popular dvd forums...should focus on this issue in-depth. after saying dvds will have a shelf life of 50 to 300 years....we need to make sure this is accurate information. I just want a library of titles to last another 40 years or so. who will replace all my oop titles in 5 years if they delaminate? the studios? where I bought it from? better start thinking about it now...not later.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Okay fine, not disc rot, but glue deterioration or something. I'd never seen anything like it, never scratched the disc, and it's the exact same player. All I have to say though, is that Circuit City is the greatest. I officially forgive them for Divx. I told them I bought the disc in March, but now it's defective, showed them the receipt, and the girl's just like, "alright, go grab another copy." I was out of there in 5 minutes! ;)

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
thats great! at least that problem is solved. I'd still like to know...did you ever try it on another player...just for kicks?

it's great that the store cared. but the problem does not live at the store. it's in production. it's the plant that needs to know. because nobody ever chews their ass....they continue and will continue to ignore and deny a problem.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Todd, I didn't ever try it on another player. The replacement copy works perfectly though. If you'd like, I took a couple of digital pictures of the disc before I exchanged it if you'd like me to send it to you.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Good thing I watched mine a week ago. Mine is fine. I bought mine used from Hollywood for $10 in May.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
Hi Darren-

I would like to see those pics...when you have time to send them. I'm curious to see what happened to your copy. would have responded earlier but had a little problem with my pc. I kept a few of my "bad" dvds, since 1 was oop and not replacable. another dvd gone bad was replaced and they never asked for the faulty one back. wonder if they look similar to the one you had problems with? anyway...thanks.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
Travis-

everyone should be concerned....but not panic. I have over 1,300 titles and I am not worried that all of them will suffer a nasty fate. faulty products are a way of life...not just dvds. but who wants to lose precious titles out of their collection because of ignored warning signs? check out DISC ROT for some general info. see the section titled "Pressed Discs/Disc Rot" in this report.

and HERE is somthing else you might want to know about.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Sorry that these shots aren't that sharp. I was just gonna email them to a friend so he could get the idea.

You guys that have experience with this kind of thing, do you see a similarity with your problem discs?

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
I'm no expert...but that looks nasty. the glue thing...I guess. seems like it would start at the outer edge of the disc...and work it's way in. my Bladerunner disc from 4 years ago, looks just like this! that dvd died last year after playing through nearly 10 times, I'm sure. lets face it...some dvds are born to go bad. thanks for the pics. hopefully...an isolated problem for you. needless to say...I'm keeping an eye on my copy.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I don't want to stir anything up, but are we all SURE that this isn't due to some scratch that happens without our knowing it? I know we all take care of our discs, but things can happen; maybe a faulty hub in a case, or a scuff when putting it into the player.

My 15 year old copy of Metallica's Master of Puppets just went bad a few weeks ago. At first I didn't see anything wrong with it, then noticed a VERY small scratch; apparently just enough to make it skip. I don't mistreat my CDs or DVDs (in fact I'm the most anal person I know about careful handling), but it got scratched *somehow*, and was almost unnoticeable to the naked eye.

I only point this out because I firmly believe we should NOT worry about our collections rotting. This is very different from the LD problem. Sure, it's possible that it could happen to a disc here and there, but I haven't seen much evidence that many of these "rot" issues are even related.

Edit: Ah, didn't notice the "fog" the first time I saw the pics; looked like reflections at first. But I have seen "fog" on discs that work fine (mostly in the old days).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks