What's new

My cat will be euthanized tomorrow... (1 Viewer)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
She's a calico, almost 9 yrs old.

Two weeks ago, she stopped eating her meals. I always joked around about how fat she was before (15+lbs), so her lack of appetite wasn't a huge cause for concern for the first few days. I tried keeping her in the house all the time, making sure food was there 24/7.

After a week passed without any improvement, I took her to the vet. She was put on an IV; at this point she weighed 9lbs. Tests were run, but nothing was pinpointed beyond an unknown liver disease. After 4 days on an IV, the vet called and told me she wasn't responding to antibiotics. I had a choice: run additional tests, or take her home.

She's with me now, for one last night. She doesn't have enough energy to walk anymore. When I pet her, all I feel are bones. She's had trouble sleeping with the pain she's been in, but tomorrow she'll get her well deserved rest.

I never thought losing a pet would be so hard.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
My condolences, Masood.
Unfortunately, I'm in the same situation today. Sheena, our orange & white cat of 13 years, was diagnosed with a possible tumor around her brain last week (after just getting over a lung infection). Since the vet wasn't certain, he gave us some antibiotics to see if it was just an infection from a bad tooth she had. Since then, she's stopped eating and drinking and now, when she coughs or sneezes, she accompanies it with an awful-sounding wailing. After talking to the vet, he feels it's her time as well. As with Masood, I never thought this would be so hard (and I've lost cats before). :frowning:

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Masood,

My thoughts are with you. Losing a pet is not an easy thing, it is just like losing a close friend or family member.

-Dean-

Doug_P

Auditioning
Lost two dogs (long term companions) in the last two years. As tough as it can get. Take a few weeks, remember, and then run to the SPCA and pick up a new friend.

All the best.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Masood, I am truly sad for you. Losing my last friend/companion crushed me. It took an awful long time to recover. I'd like to say it won't be hard, but she was your friend for 9 years. This my friend, is longer than most human relationships. Don't hold back your tears, remind her you care. Very hard...
Bless

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Masood - I just euthanized my cat a few months ago. Same thing, a liver problem made worse by diabetes. She was around 9 as well.

I went to the vet because my wife couldn't bear it. I thought I could but it was really one of the saddest moments of my life. Makes you appreciate your other pets even more if you have any...

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
My thoughts are with you, Masood, and Peter as well. Having had to euthanize 2 cats in the last 3 years, I understand the pain.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear that you have to put your cat to sleep I know what you are going through 2 years ago I had to put my boyhood Dog to sleep..... It nearly killed me especially when I dug his grave and had to hold him to put him to sleep. It will hurt but know that you are saving that cat from a lot of suffering.

KyleS

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Very sorry. I've had pets my entire life and it's never easy losing one. :frowning:
This thread makes me want to go home and hold my cat.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I'm really sorry to hear about your cat.
That is indeed a tough thing and I wish you
all the best thoughts.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Sorry Masood. I have been crying over my cat that will have to be put down as well. I'm just waiting on the inevitable news from the vet. My wife and I have had little sleep over the past 2 days because of it.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I have two cats now; Odo and Tux are my pride and joy.

I had to be with Spot a few years ago when the end came. I can both sympathize and empathize.

The pawprints left on our hearts can never be forgotten...

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'm sorry to the people who lost their cats or will be losing them. :frowning:
~T

StephenA

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear that. At least your cat won't be suffering anymore. I've always found it hard to lose pets too, because I've always considered them a family member.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks