What's new

My cat will be euthanized tomorrow... (1 Viewer)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys, for all the kind words and comforting passages. She was euthanized and cremated this morning at a local pet clinic. This is the first pet our family has lost, so the experience has been emotionally taxing for all of us.

When time mends this wound, I'll head to the animal shelter once again. But for now, I'm going to keep my other cat company. I'm sure he misses her as much as I do.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
That really sucks, Masood. Whoever says that losing a pet is no comparison to losing a human hasn't truly lost a pet. I hate to even think about it, and my parents' dog is fairly young (only 2 and a half), but when he dies, it is going to tear a hole in my family's heart...

Good luck to you and best wishes.

Richard_T

Second Unit
As a fellow cat lover I feel for you. I've had many cats over the years and have had to deal with your situation more times than I would ever want to, but the joy they have brought to my life has been wonderful. I wish you strength during this time:frowning:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Masood, your post made me extremely sad for you. :frowning: I was reading things that happened to my cat Big Foot, my stomach sank when I read about you petting him and only feeling bones, that's how he was near the end too. :frowning:
I'll never forget my friend, my furry little brother Big Foot.
Best wishes to you.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I'm very sorry Masood, and Peter, and anyone else going through a tough and terrible time with a pet they love. I don't know what else to say...:frowning:

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Masood, and Peter, I feel for you. We have a couple cats that age, and sometimes they're showing their years. I have lost a couple pets before, as well as 3 close family members this year. Both are sad, in many similar and many different ways.

Bless your hearts, remember them for who they were, and as far as pets go - go get another one soon, SPCA if possible. Lots of kittens and cats and dogs looking for good homes there.

Take care.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Masood, you are very welcome. Please let us know when you get your male buddy a friend. This thread is in dire need of an upnote.

I almost cried reading that post
I've lost it twice now. What true compassion this thread has demonstrated. Very refreshing amongst...

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Wow - this brought tears to my eyes. I have never lost a pet, but this thread has really driven home the point that our pets aren't around forever. We have two cats at home that are so full of personality that sometimes I think they are humans trapped in feline bodies. I am truly sorry for your loss.

As an upnote - maybe I can share a funny story about our cats from last night.

We have a totally white cat named Nikita who is not the most agile of felines, but she has powerful muscles and can perform some truly amazing feats. Well, last night she and our other cat Ferris were chasing each other around the house and Nikita decided it would make a lot of sense to get on top of the fridge. We have a counter that is about half the height of the fridge and she made a jump for it. The only problem is she didn't quite make it, and Amy and I were audience to Nikita with one paw holding on to the top of the fridge (buried in the gap between the door and the fridge itself, where the rubber insulation is). Her other three paws were firmly planted on the freezer door, but it was a losing battle. She looked over at us with a look that screamed "HELP!" and she bounded off the fridge and back onto the floor. We almost peed our pants it was so funny.

Anybody else have some funny cat stories to cheer Masood up?

Jason

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks, folks. While I've had pets pass away before, this was the first time I had to do it at the vet's myself. I was able to brush her fur and get a little purr out of her beforehand, so that made it a little easier. I was glad I was working alone yesterday afternoon and night...

I think we'll get another kitten (or two, as my wife and son say) around Christmas time.

Thanks again, everyone.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
This thread is heartbreaking. I have a 14 year old (? on the age, he was a stray when we found him) with diabetes and a 15 year old with cancer. They're probably not going to be around too much longer. I'll have 2 others, but they won't make up for the missing ones.

I hesitate to ask questions, for fear of seeming insensitive, but I hope people will understand that I don't mean to be that way. My first question is for Patrick, what were your cat's symptoms? Since my cat has diabetes I'm not sure what will become a problem first.

My next question is for Masood. This may sound crass, but I would like to know how much you were charged for the procedure and cremation, since I'll be going through the same thing and need to start budgeting for the inevitable.

My condolences. They really do become family. I understand completely.

Jason, I loved your Nikita story. I do have some funny stories, but I'm too sad right now.

Thomas Reagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Masood,
I'm afriad my cat Bruce is not long for the world either. He's almost 13, but a thyroid condition is making him slowly waste away. Radiation therapy might help, but it's too expensive for my family to afford. You wouldn't believe the guilt I feel for not doing more.
You have my heartfelt sympathy....:frowning:
Thos.

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
Losing a pet is so devastating. My Ex-Wife emailed me a few weeks ago stating that she had to put one of the two cats we had while married down. I was still really upset and I hadn't even seen the cat in nearly two years. Sorry for your loss!

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Sorry to hear about your cat Masood. I lost my first cat when I was 17 years old, and the cat was two years older than me. It was very, very sad. Roscoe was in good health when I left from Austin, TX for a one month vacation to Tampa, my previous home town. By the time I came back he had kidney failure and was in miserable health: emaciated, smelling horrible, and making an extremely miserable howl. As much as we hated to do it we had to put poor Roscoe out of his absolute misery. We were all in tears, even my cousin from Waco, Texas who had seen Roscoe on visits to Tampa and of course in Austin. Within a month we got another cat, very similar looking, another gray tabby, but with a completely different personality. While Roscoe was such a cuddler ( he would practically hug you when you held him), Allie didn't really like to be held, but we've managed to get her a little more used to it. Allie now is around 13 or 14, having lived ar first with the whole family, then with my mother, then my father, and now my sister. That's too cats in 33 or so years for my family so we've certainly been blessed in the kitty longevity department.

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Very sorry to hear this. I have a 19 year old cat and fear the day is near as well. Please accept my condolences.

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
Man, this post is going to make me cry. I've got one of our cats sitting on my lap right now (her name is Sassy, but I call her Sasquatch b/c she is so fat:D ). We've only had our two cats (sisters) for a little over a year, but I would be so devistated if we lost one of them (even though they are a couple of little freaks:) ). We've also got a Papillion that we've had for about 4 or 5 years and it's gonna rip me apart when she dies. Losing pets is never easy, and I've lost quite a few, but it's different now b/c these three seem like our children. My heart goes out to all of you who are losing or have recently lost your pets.
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks