What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

My Baby's Daddy (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Let me preface my experience w/ this movie by saying that as a 34 year old black male, I despise exploitative and stereotypical movies such as these, but my wife and I had company from out of the country over the last few weeks and before they left (this morning), they insisted on seeing this movie. My wife and I did everything we could to get out of it knowing that this would be a horrible movie going experience but we could not escape. Adding to our extreme reluctance is the fact that we would have to pay for our friends as well. The total cost for 4 movie tickets plus popcorn and sodas came to something like $56. My wife and I knew this would be a terrible movie, but it turned out to be worse. I've never seen a more stupid movie filled w/ blatant and subtle stereotypes in all my life. There was absolutely nothing funny about this movie and it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. After the movie, our friends apologized for making us feel compelled to watch this "sackload". Don't make the mistake we did. Do yourself a favor and save your money. You have been warned.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

What made your friends think that they wanted to see the movie Kevin? A.O. Scott of the New York Times panned it. Our own Scott Weinburg wrote “Apparently baby poop is hilariously disgusting, regardless of your race” in his review. And I’ve not seen any promotional material that would make me think that I’d go against advice such as the above.

So does this movie have a different image outside of the U.S. or what?

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

Forget the movie... that is what offends me personally... ;)

When I first saw the commercial for this, the first thing that popped in my head was "Ehh... about five people will go see it and we'll never hear about it after Sunday evening... "

Whattya' gonna' do... even David Hasselhoff is in-demand somewhere... ;)

Nick

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
The only way these movies stop being made is if they don't make any money. (Kevin, I'm not implicating you, so don't worry. I--my employer, rather--paid money to see it too as the PR rep asked the critics, who had been sent passes, not to attend because the studio claimed it wasn't the final print. I found the claim rather dubious but couldn't go anyway. I've talked to my partner on the show, who went to the screening, and we think Miramax just didn't want any opening day reviews.)

I am amazed at the perpetuation of stereotypes in films like these. The gross caricatures of Asians struck me as most offensive, which is not to imply that African-Americans come off well. Yeah, yeah, it's just a movie, just a comedy, but movies like My Baby's Daddy are insulting and, if not harmful, not helpful. [/steps off of soapbox]

Addendum: A.O. Scott panned the film, but as he comments in a Slate Movie Club entry last week, it was a rare case of seeing a film Friday and publishing a review on Saturday. I don't think you needed reviews to smell the stink coming off of this, but then again, this isn't the sort of film where reviews tend to make much difference. People interested in seeing it are less likely to be swayed by a pan, and those who don't want to see it are unlikely to be convinced by a rave.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Mark,

I couldn't agree with you more on all points regarding this movie. As a critic myself I experienced the same thing in regards to a so called print problem. I received an email from my local PR people saying the screening was cancelled due to a print problem.

I was talking to some of my local press friends and one of them said they thought it wasn't a finished print but given that it was 3 days before opening I wasn't buying into that. I figured it was just a case of Miramax or in this case Alliance Atlantis (distributor in Canada) not wanting the film seen early.

Overall it's junk and I can see why Miramax didn't want us to see it. I never had any intention to see it and would have gone to the press screening just out of curoisity and only because I had a hole in my schedule and time to review it. Any other week I'd have skipped it due to an already busy workload. Needless to say it's already a shoo-in for my Worst 10 list.

I ended up going to the movie on Friday night with my sister and her boyfriend not because I wanted to but because I needed something to do and they wanted to go. I didn't like it AT ALL. They seemed to like it though.

* Ann *

Auditioning
My boyfriend has just invited me to see this movie. I think I don't want to see it now... Thanks for helping me to realize it!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome, Ann.

Kevin, as slightly alluded to in this thread already, you might be interested to know that the studio didn't hold prerelease screenings last Wednesday for the critics. When that happens, well, you know the rest.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Ah jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

I just had like 5 paragraphs get erased because I hit the damn Back button by mistake.

Recap: I don't see how movies like this don't get picketed.

Ugh. I'm so bummed that I lost that whole post. I made some interesting points, too!

:frowning:

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Did you have the unfortunate experience of seeing this movie Scott? I know you lost your paragraphs, but if you get the time, I'd really like to hear your thoughts.

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

How many mob movies have been made without widespread protest from Italian-American groups? It's not just black audiences.

You probably hear the same complaints from organizations associated with various ethnic groups when movies or books like this come out, but it's basically lip service. Nobody, in the end, ever has the desire, resolve or means to really put an end to something like this because someone will always make a buck off it.

My Grandmother used to say everyone hated one another in the old country, then they came here and became best friends almost out of necessity. She's not necessarily right and still doesn't believe it. For every American male of Italian extraction who finds The Sopranos offensive, another will think it's the best show on TV. For every black male who thinks Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha' Hood is a disgrace, another will think it's a riot.

Etcetera, etcetea and so on. Just substitute ethnic/religious group and movie of choice... :)

Nick

Edit: I completely butchered the title of the Leprechaun movie, FWIW... :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
good grief, the title alone gives me a rancid taste in the mouth.

its a catch phrase that reminds me that so many young women these days are nothing but 'unaffiliated breeders'.
and whats worse, the situation is considered normal (and by the films title, somewhat cute ).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks