What's new

Must Have SACD's (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Rich, I have seen the original stereo release of Tapestry at local Circuit City stores. They typically have more than one copy. Is there a particular reason that you want the stereo version? It has been said that Sony has improved the stereo track when preparing the multi-channel release.
The only thing I know for sure is that the two-channel mixes are not the same. Which is better? I don't know. I just know that they are different.

This has been kicked around a bit on the Steve Hoffman forums, and from what I can glean, the initial 2-ch only release was an SACD version of the original two-channel recording, whereas the new 2-ch/multi-ch release includes a brand-new 2-ch mix. If both of these are still available, I'd really love to hear a review/comparison from someone sensitive to these issues before I purchase one or the other.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
For those that don't think I don't enjoy SACD, my top 5 SACD selections, in no particular order:
James Taylor (Sony) JT -- the 5.1 mix on this for Traffic Jam is worth the price of admission in and of itself.
Bob Mintzer Big Band (DMP) Homage to Count Basie -- splendid example of an ambient 4 channel mix.
David Johansen and the Harry Smiths (Chesky) -- not what you'd expect from the man formerly known as Buster Poindexter.
Dave Brubeck (Telarc) 40th Anniversary Tour of the UK -- buy this for Bobby Militello's alto sax work. Bobby isn't Paul Desmond, and he doesn't pretend to be. Otherwise, the format is formulaic.
Mike Oldfield (Virgin) Tubular Bells -- quadrophonic classic released on multi-channel SACD.
Regards,

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Evan, no problem. I just wanted to make sure you knew this one had been already released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks