What's new

Must-have LD's - Updated Archive Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Star Trek: TMP widescreen theatrical cut
Toy Story box set - for the Pixar shorts
Tron box set - isolated score (in mono, but better than nothing)
Dances With Wolves expanded is slated for next year, no?
I have all of the Disney DTS releases on LD still.
Dave, I still have that Frightners set :D. Did you ever replace it?
Mike

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Some additions/corrections:

11. Schindler's List - Limited Edition. I've owned the box set and now the regular edition. The box set was one of the biggest ripoffs in LD history. List price of $140 (or was it $150?), no disc supplements, paperback book, a nice but brief booklet. I'm still mad I was suckered into buying this box set, even at the heavily discounted price I got it for.

13. Disney's Mary Poppins. Most, but not quite all, of the LD supplements made it to the second release of the dvd.

30. The Day the Earth Stood Still - Autographed Collector's Edition. Also has a nice book and is, of course, autographed by Robert Wise. Limited production run of 2,500; fairly hard to find.

47. The Nightmare Before Christmas Boxset. About half the "Making of" documentary didn't make it to dvd nor did the MTV shorts. Features the best book ever included in an LD box set.

48. Gettysburg Boxset. Contains an excellent book, a battelfield map, four B&W photos of actual participants, cd soundtrack and, as mentioned, a bullet - probably the most unusual extra in any boxset. The dvd picture simply blows it away, but it is the only release of the extended version, tape, LD or dvd. I haven't checked, but i'm pretty certain that all the disc supplements made it to dvd.

57. Boogie Nights. Contains an abridged (and unauthorized?) version of "Exhausted". The uncut documentary is, I think, available somewhere on dvd.

60. The Adventures of Robin Hood Criterion CAV. It's the Criterion for supplements but the second Warners release for picture quality, which makes either Criterion release look dull.

62. Disney's Song of the South. There are two versions, the original release with analog sound and a second release with digital sound. The only differences I'm aware of. There also was a Hong Kong release intended for rental only that occasionally makes it to Ebay. No subtitles, and something different about the beginning, but I don't know what. Good luck finding a copy, and be prepared to fork it over if you do - several copies have hit the $1,000 mark.

73. The Making of a Legend: Gone With the Wind. I don't know why this doesn't go for huge bucks on Ebay. Three excellent sides of supplements not available anywhere else.

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
57. Boogie Nights. Contains an abridged (and unauthorized?) version of "Exhausted". The uncut documentary is, I think, available somewhere on dvd.

The uncut "Exhausted" documentary is available seperately on DVD, but it doesn't have the hilarious Paul Thomas Anderson commentary or the audio essay found on the Criterion Laserdisc.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
And lasers of some fine films collecting dust in Warner's vault:
Americanization of Emily, The
Angels with Dirty Faces
Asphalt Jungle, The
Bad Day at Black Rock - Criterion
Band Wagon, The
Battleground
Beast From 20,000 Fathoms
Blackboard Jungle, The
Blow-Up - Criterion
Bringing Up Baby
Captain Blood
Crimson Pirate, The
Crossfire
David Copperfield
Day at the Races, A
Days of Wine & Roses
Dinner at Eight
Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde
Far From the Madding Crowd
Fearless Vampire Killers, The
Foreign Correspondent
Fountainhead, The
Gaslight
Good Earth, The
Goodbye Mr Chips
Grand Hotel
Greed
Gunga Din
Hill, The
House of Wax
Humoresque
I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang
I'll Cry Tomorrow
Ice Station Zebra
Informer, The
Journey Into Fear
Juluis Caeser
Life of Emile Zola, The/Story of Luis Pasteur, The
Lost Patrol, The
Loved One, The
Meet Me in St Louis
Mighty Joe Young
Murder My Sweet
Mystery of the Wax Museum/Doctor X
Night at the Opera, A
Night Moves
Night of the Iguana
Ninotchka
Nun's Story, The
Out of the Past
Performance
Picture of Dorian Grey, The
Point Blank
Postman Always Rings Twice, The
Public Enemy/Little Caeser
Queen Christina
Quo Vadis
Ride the High Country
Roaring Twenties, The
San Francisco
Scarecrow
Seahawk, The
Set-Up, The
Stage Door
Suspicion
Tale of Two Cities, A
To Have & Have Not
Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned
Wait Until Dark
Waterloo Bridge
White Heat

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Disney's Song of the South. There are two versions, the original release with analog sound and a second release with digital sound. The only differences I'm aware of. There is also was a Hong Kong release intended for rental only that occasionally makes it to Ebay. No subtitles, and something different about the beginning, but I don't know what. Good luck finding a copy, and be prepared to fork it over if you do - several copies have hit the $1,000 mark.
One member at AVS who owns both stated that the Japanese version has notably better picture quality than the Hong Kong one, so don't feel bad about having subtitles during the songs. The HK disc was not taken from the same master, or even the same print.

www.bigemma.com
is a good site to find LD, I recently got the 3 box sets of Buster Keaton fims at $60 each andfound two box sets of Golden Age of Looney Tunes $89/$75 each,normaly the price is $300. I havemost DTS LD except Titanic, Casper, Apollo 13, Toy Storie, Independence Day and Armagedon, all of which I am still looking for.
Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies are the only Bond films in DTS that I know of and both have good sound plus Goldeneye has supplementary stuff as well. I recently got Strange Days in DTS with commentary and deleated shots.
Forbiden Planet in CAV is worth getting as is the Criterion CLV King Kong with commentary.

Declan

Second Unit
was'nt there a Days Of Thunder making of that was released on it's own on laser (gonna get a few "you dont like that movie do you" posts, but it's one of my all time favs:b )

Would'nt mind getting that one, although I hear Tony Scott is going back and doing some more of his older films on SpEd DVD (which started with True Romance, which for some reason I still havernt picked up yet). So with any luck when he is done with a Top Gun SpEd he'll do Days Of Thunder as well.

Though does anyone have that disc as it would be interesting to know just what was on it. I remeber it being on sale on Ken Cranes site years ago, but missed out.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I would add The rolling stones "Rock & Roll Circus" with the who john lennon and eric clapton among others

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
84. Looney Tunes - Volumes 1-5 - supposedly in production, but no firm release date. Judging by the prices obtained on Ebay for complete sets, this is one of the remaining "Holy Grails" of LDs.

Although not part of the list, I believe there is something else part of the LD genre that simply does not exist with DVD's: the "look and feel" of LD's. I don't know exactly what it is, but opening a gatefold cover and feeling that LP-sized platter in your hands provided a feeling that DVD's have yet to match (at least for me).

In addition, I have yet to see a "special edition" version of a DVD presentation (Snow White, Lord of the Rings Extended Version, Pearl Harbor Director's Cut, etc.) that can match that "look/feel" I mentioned above for the LD boxsets produced by Disney.

Of course, thanks to those of you who added to my obviously incomplete list.

Regards,

Sam

Devin U

Second Unit
Sam, I have to agree with you. I got into LD late (twice) and there is just something about the way it feels. My favorate disc to open is Schindler's List. You'd never see the stills from the movie aranged like that in a little dvd booklet (if you were luck enough to even get one instead of those little cards with the chapter stops). And I really have to agree with the fellow about DTS LD vs DVD comparisons. I only have a couple of DTS LD's, but I really enjoy the difference in the sound, and it's not like im a audiophile with a reference system. You just dont get that on dvd. hopefully someday, there will be something that will finally persuade me to give up LD, but its not dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks