What's new

Multi-Standard DVD player question (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My company has asked me to create PAL DVD's, which I've successfully done, but now I need to find a way to test them in house (instead of at another facility that does PAL DVD conversions).

They are buying a multi-standard monitor, but I need to recommend a multi-standard DVD player and have no idea what exactly I need to be looking for.

I just need playback capabilities, so I don't need anything high end - I'll probably be hooking the machine up via composite and analog audio, so I don't need any high end digital outs or converters.

My first question is: In looking online, I didn't find any "Multi-Standard" players, but I did see "Universal" players. Is that what I should be looking for?

Secondly, I did see a universal player that will read both NTSC and PAL, but it said that you don't need a PAL monitor. I assume that means there is some standards conversion in the unit that send out an NTSC signal regardless of the source. I don't want to go this route - I want one that sends out a true PAL signal and a true NTSC signal (depending on the disc) and letting the mult-standard monitor do the switching.

Any ideas? thought?
Thanks!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Just look for a DVD player that plays PAL.

the Universal player title is most likely used for players that also play both SACD and DVD-A hi-res audio formats, something you don't need and likely are going to be paying a lot of money for. Just hunt for a PAL dvd player.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mark, some (maybe most) universal players let you select whether it converts everything to NTSC or leaves signals in their native format. Unfortunately, it might be difficult finding out which ones have that feature. My suggestion is to try a Philips 642 or 5140, which are both under $50. They can play PAL discs, but I guess if they only convert them to NTSC you can take it back. No doubt someone here has one of these units and can tell you if it can be configured to play in the native format.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I think that Philips should work for you. I have a 727 (which preceded the 642), and under Video Setup, it lets you choose "Multi", "PAL" or "NTSC" as the TV type, so it should output the appropriate signal.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have the oppo 970 and it does a great job and is around $125 reburished from their site

The PAL discs I have played looked as good as a NTSC disc unlike other players that Ive used
good luck
Grant

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
First off: Thanks for all the suggestions!

We ordered the Philips 5140.

Elizabeth, we checked the online manual and it did say that you can set it to either NTSC, PAL, or Multi. :emoji_thumbsup: Thanks for mentioning that. I wasn't sure exactly what to look for before, but it seems like this will do exactly what I need it to do.

And one of the editors is letting me use his 20" widescreen SONY multi-standard LCD monitor (for the new DVD player), so I should be cooking soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks