What's new

Region Free Multi Format DVD/Blu ray player (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not really. If you need 4K and can live with some/many discs being playable then the unmodded Panasonics with the Top menu 'trick' can be quite useful. The last couple years, the 420/820 have been relatively cheap Black Friday sales.

4k region free modded players still don't make a lot of sense to me financially though there are quite a few players available. It's cheaper to get e good UHD player and a cheaper modded Bluray players.

If you are in the US, the Sony's from Bombay/220 Electronics are still the best bang for the buck
If you are EU/UK, there are a lot of good modded Panasonic BD easily available.
A used Oppo is still a good choice if you can find a lightly used item. The mod from 220 Electronics is around $90 now and extremely easy DIY install

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What about the Panasonics in the US? Both 220 Electronics and Bombay offer several.

Several older models and the new 4K level. Were any of the plain Bluray player released after 2015 and most of those listed are 8-9yo models?

What's the "top menu trick" - I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 ? I only have a handful of blu rays that I want from region B.

I think there are some other threads. It seems to be a loophole mostly associated with Panasonic players that allows playing of many region locked discs. The exact procedure/button press seems to vary, but most Panasonics allow it.

I think the 210 is definitely one of the models capable

Last edited:

stevenHa

Second Unit
Does this region override trick work with the newer 4k Panasonics when playing blu rays from another region ?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The 420/820 have the capability, I think the 9000 does as well.

Again note -- it doesn't work on all (though seemingly a large number) Region locked discs and doesn't work on locked DVDs though getting a region free DVD player should be pretty cheap.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
This is what I got. The only issue I’ve had is with the sound sync for some 4K discs, though I think it may be originating from the TV. (Still researching that.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks