What's new

Multi-room audio help (1 Viewer)

Brent Joye

Agent
I have a nice room that I want to use for home theater and I also want multi room audio for the rest of the house. Right now I have a crappy old Technics receiver and a pair of Def Tech Pro Tower 400 main speakers.

Should I get something like the Niles multi-zone control system that does 30watts to 6 different zones for the house and then have a separate dedicated HT receiver? Or do you get one good HT receiver and try to run the multi-room off of that?

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

John-J

Auditioning
Hi Brent,

A key question here is whether you want to run different sources simultaneously - like watching a dvd in your main room but have music playing somewhere else in the house. If not, switch boxes like the Niles will work.

Brent Joye

Agent
John,
I don't think I'll be running different things simultaneously, but the Niles multi-zone receiver says you can send up to 4 different sources to 6 different zones simultaneously. I guess I'm asking if it's reasonable to do the multi-room audio with a home theater receiver and save some money. Obviously the Niles receiver wouldn't work for HT, but would an HT receiver work for multi-room audio? How do you run it? Get a receiver with 2 zones and then use the 1st zone for HT and split the second zone off for multi-room audio? An HT receiver would probably have 6 powered channels at the most right? So how do you power 6 or 8 rooms of speakers with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks