What's new

Multi-Language Movies (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Cluozot’s “Wages of Fear”, might take the multi-language prize. Most of the characters use their native languages, when not using the film’s dominant language, French. The main characters are French, German and Italian. An American oil company hires them and the setting is in an unnamed, Latin American country.

If I remember correctly, the soundtrack is in French, German, Italian, English and Spanish. It is possible that another language or two creep in, but I’m not sure of that.

Wages is available on a Criterion DVD. Don’t really think that there are any particular extras, although it is a non-censored version (the cuts were not for sex or violence, but due to an overall (or at least one of them) thesis of the film, condemning American big business abroad.

Does anyone know of films with even more languages?

Lew

Allen W

Stunt Coordinator
I've studied 3 foreign languages in my life and I am bad at all of them. Nevertheless I do enjoy watching foreign films to see what I can understand.

How about a few bilingual submarine movies!
U-571: English and German
Das Boot: English and German
The Hunt for Red October: English and a few words in Russian

Also, Run Lola Run: German and English (I think)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
forgot about war movies, I just finished watching A Bridge Too Far last night, it has bits of German when the German officers are speaking.

presumably many other World War 2 movies will also have bits of German sprinkled all over, or French (if dealing with occupied France), or Japanese (if dealing with the Pacific theatre).

which brings us (in a roundabout way) to Pearl Harbor, not everyone's cup of tea but there's a bit of Japanese in it, yes? I believe Midway in contrast does not, the Japanese officers all just speak English anyway. not sure about Tora Tora Tora though.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Guess I get to throw out the more obscure recommendations:
Before the Rain - English, Macedonian, Albanian
Cold Fever - English, Japanese, Icelandic
Unfortunately, neither of these is on DVD. :frowning:
Feeble attempt at humor recommendation:
Galaxy Quest - English, Thermian :D
Edit: Just remembered Strozek - English, German
Edit II: Just remembered Men With Guns - Mostly Spanish, but with a few English interludes.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
which brings us (in a roundabout way) to Pearl Harbor, not everyone's cup of tea but there's a bit of Japanese in it, yes? I believe Midway in contrast does not, the Japanese officers all just speak English anyway. not sure about Tora Tora Tora though.
Incorrectly translated Japanese in many parts, but yes PH does have a tad in it. Midway does indeed only feature English (grrr, you don't dub Toshiro Mifune!)

Tora Tora Tora's Japanese sequences were shot in Japan with Japanese crews, and are all in Japanese.

I would say that we shouldn't be looking at films with snippets, it should be a MAJOR portion of the film is in another language

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks