What's new

MST3K DVD's now put out by Warner Music (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Dvdfile.com reports that MST3K DVD's are now being put out by Warner Muisc.

On 6/11- Crawling Hand and Hellcats.

Looks like we get snappers and different packaging from now on

Wade K

Second Unit
Lord, I hope not. I've bought all of them up to now, and would hate the tacky 'look' of mixed snappers and keep cases for a similar set.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
dvdfile also reports that Image used to release MST3K DVDs... which is untrue. They only released the Universal movie.

David L. Gold

Auditioning
And thus my tag-line holds true...

Direct from the info-club website:

"By the way, some web sites are reporting that the new episodes are being distributed by Warner Special Projects. Rhino was acquired by Warner some time ago, so there's really been no change in companies. Rhino still remains the only company licensed to release MST3K episodes."

So nothing should change. Remain calm people. Nothing to see here.

-Dave-

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Heh, if you thought that Rhino was slow in releasing MST3K, can you imagine how slow it's going to be with leadfooted Warner handling it? You may not see another disc after these for years!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Rhino, nor Warner has anything to do with the rights problems.

Except for a handful of public domain titles such as Eegah! and Manos: The Hands of Fate, and also a handful of Warner-owned movies (They own Mitchell from Allied Artists...), all the other movies have rights with someone or a company.

Sandy Frank is hogging the rights to the Gamera movies, MGM owns all the American International movies, Universal owns a ton of Season 8 episodes, and all of the KTMA episodes feature movies without clearance given.

MST3K is an expensive show to put on DVD for the main fact that the rights are needed from Best Brains Inc. AND the copyright holder of the featured movie. I doubt the AIP movies will ever be on DVD given MGM's bad relationship to WB now...

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, then, does anyone know what the scoop is with the Sci-Fi eps Best Brains is offering on VHS themselves? Why aren't these being offered through Rhino and/or on DVD?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Those episodes have the rights licensed to Best Brains, themselves. The rights probably would be more expensive if a bigger company like WB was releasing the episodes. After all, BBI is a non-profit fan club.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
This is probably not news to anyone who is a hardcore fan, but ALL of the non Rhino/BBI episodes of MST3K are available on DVD from fans who can burn DVDs. While I am all for the release of more episodes on DVD, I'm not complaining about the quality of the currently produced DVD-Rs from fans.

I currently own every episode of MST3K on VHS, and a few on DVD. When I can afford a DVD burner...... ooooh boy.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Steve, I'd erase that link if I were you. Linking to bootlegs is a big no-no on the HTF, no matter how honorable the intentions may be, no licence=bootleg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks